you never know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I learned over the weekend that my old boss was at a convetion in Alabama and his wife drowned in the undertoe that was apparantly pretty bad down there. They were a few years older than me but our kids were about the same age.

Their kids were also with them at the conference but other adults were keeping them at the time.

I cant imagine going off to a conference and not coming back with everyone I brought, especially family.

I heard about it this morning. It seems pretty unreal.

You hear about things like that happening, but it really never sinks in until it happens to someone you know.

I read about that this weekend. I went to my folks' house, and it was in the newspaper. Not a lot of details, though. But I can say that if you are not familiar with the undertow, and what to do, it will grab you and not let go.

Hate to read stuff like that..

ktulu

wow that sux.

how quickly the picture can change. My condolences to all involved.

I read about that this weekend. I went to my folks' house, and it was in the newspaper. Not a lot of details, though. But I can say that if you are not familiar with the undertow, and what to do, it will grab you and not let go.
Hate to read stuff like that..

ktulu
That is a sad story. Wao. I don't know the people involved but feel for them.

That's truly horrible.

It's really amazing just how dangerous the ocean is, and how many people die every year. We have at least a half dozen fatalities a year around here, and I'm sure the numbers must be staggering in the US.

dleg-

The lady RG is referring to was the third in the past twelve days in that area....so there are alot more than people think..

Very, very tragic. For everyone involved. My condolances.

I spent many of my early years growing up on the gulf coast in Panama City, FL. My dad was stationed at the AFB. There were many fatalities from riptide conditions - it is just difficult to understand how powerful that force can be without having seen the affects first hand. :deadhorse:

JR

Very, very tragic. For everyone involved. My condolances.
I spent many of my early years growing up on the gulf coast in Panama City, FL. My dad was stationed at the AFB. There were many fatalities from riptide conditions - it is just difficult to understand how powerful that force can be without having seen the affects first hand. :deadhorse:

JR
We just survived vacation a couple of weeks ago at PCB. The last few days we had some high wind with swells. I got out and body boarded, but decided the currents were way too much to let the kids or wife near, so I took them to St. Andrews park the last two days to play in the kiddy pool behind the jetties.

I couldn't imagine not bringing someone home. My prayers go out to their familly.

Really terrible. Sad to hear about it. I feel real bad for the family.

Seeing that I grew up 600 miles from a beach - what are you supposed to do with a bad undertow? If I remember the baywatch episode - is it to start swimming parallel to the beach and then attempt to swim back???

Really terrible. Sad to hear about it. I feel real bad for the family.
Seeing that I grew up 600 miles from a beach - what are you supposed to do with a bad undertow? If I remember the baywatch episode - is it to start swimming parallel to the beach and then attempt to swim back???
Swimming parallel to the beach is right. But first, people need to stay calm when they find themselves caught in the undertow.

Another important thing to remember is look for the warning flags. They will tell you what the surf is like...

Growing up on the beach, I know that alot of people ignore the flags, then find themselves in trouble...

ktulu

I just read the newspaper article from down there, apparently the entire beach was marked with red-flags pretty heavily.

I just read the newspaper article from down there, apparently the entire beach was marked with red-flags pretty heavily.
The article I read in the AJC yesterday said the same thing.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedit...riefs0610a.html

[Edit: Link probably requires registration]

It sounds like she shouldn't have been in the water, but I know if I were on a trip to the beach and the warning flags were up I'd probably disregard them too. I would have felt I was a strong enough swimmer that it wouldn't be an issue and I only get to go to the beach every so often so I'm going to get in the water if I go.

I think I have to seriously reconsider that mindset now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get updates daily from the State's Emergency Mgmt like the one posted below because I am still on the call-up roster. You will note that one of the first items addresses rip tide currents. I don't think there is any doubt the word gets out about these phenomena - I just don't think the danger associated with these currents is communicated well enough to people who are visiting.

Perhaps to put a different perspective on it - if the warnings were for road signs, they would say ... STAY AWAY !!!!!!!

Know what I mean?

JR

Back