WTH is Google up to?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - How badly does Google want to keep under wraps a mysterious project taking shape on a barge in San Francisco Bay? Badly enough to require U.S. government officials to sign confidentiality agreements.

Adding to the mystery, a second similar barge was recently spotted in Portland, Maine, and is also registered to By and Large LLC, according to local media reports.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/google-takes-secrecy-heights-mystery-020206834.html

Insurance against EMP?

It's funny to see all the conspiracy theories on the news and other media. My bet is that it's a research center to start working on warp drive or a full-fledged replicator.

Another sign our Country is weak! Why they Hell would the US Coast guard sign jack shit?

Close enough...

wall-e-movie.jpg

The NCEES is moving toward computer based testing right? I'm sure they are working with Google to create a secure database of test questions. I surmise that this is also where the cut score conclave will be held. Nothing else could require this level of secrecy, right?

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever it is, I guarantee it will be a huge disappointment when contrasted with all the speculation.

My speculation - cold fusion!

Probably reality - interactive underwear!

Whatever it is, I guarantee it will be a huge disappointment when contrasted with all the speculation.

Sadly, that is usually the case.

:(

Maybe an OTEC powerplant!
That's an interesting idea. That could be it.

If you look at their patent app for a waterborn data center, it does appear to have a large water intake dropping down into the depths. It wasn't that long, but OTEC was my first thought when I saw it.

If you look at their patent app for a waterborn data center, it does appear to have a large water intake dropping down into the depths. It wasn't that long, but OTEC was my first thought when I saw it.

What would the purpose of such a center? I guess move it into an area after a disaster? Anyway powering a data center with OTEC is an interesting idea.

Where can you find the patent?

I sincerely doubt it's OTEC. Although one of the only OTEC attempts was performed on a barge about that size, it was performed off Hawaii, where the surface waters are warm and to deep waters are cold - you don't have that contrast in SF or Maine, so it would make no sense. Even in Hawaii, the Carnot (=theoretical maximum) efficiency is only around 6%, which translates to a practical efficiency of maybe 3%, at best. What this means is that, in order to produce any appreciable amount of power, you have to pump an enormous quantity of water to extract the heat from, which means gigantic pumps, a gigantic heat exchanger, and the need for thermal reservoirs that can sustain the recycling of that water (i.e., massive, deep ocean waters with good currents). The Hawaii barge-OTEC drew water from 2,200 feet at 2700 gpm, and only produced 55 kW, while eating up 40 kW in pumping energy (net 15 kW) - that gives an idea of the size of equipment that would be needed.

Sorry - OTEC gets me going. I've had to explain to island politicians too many times, after being visited by sham OTEC salesmen promising "free energy from the ocean". Free, my ass.

The most likely answer I see is that it's intended to be a portable vessel with a decent heat sink. If they can get power from another source that can be mounted on the barges - say, WEC or a solar array dragged behind them - they could move the vessel just about anywhere they can get an internet connection to.

I do wonder, though - depending on how seaworthy it is, could they move it offshore and do some fun stuff to connect to a fiber line outside of US (or friendly nation) jurisdiction?

Back