workplace murders

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Creepy but what else would kill you a twork? Other than sleeping with a married coworker whose spouse shows up to Kill the both of you......

Creepy but what else would kill you a twork? Other than sleeping with a married coworker whose spouse shows up to Kill the both of you......
1. Reaching into a 4kV switchgear that should be dead but isn't.

2. Having a 500 ton generator stator dropped on you from a height of 50 ft.

Those are the first two events that come to mind in my industry.

RG, have you been to a construction site?
Sounds like he's been around more crazy bitches than heavy equipment.

"Then about a week later, out of the blue, she sends me a John Deere letter."

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess when I think workplace I think cubicle land..

We have a federal department that oversees jobsite safety so why would there be anything dangerous at a construction site?

Well, in cubicle land, here are some killers:

1) Heart disease, diabetes, and obesity from sitting all day,

2) The weird lady's perfume,

3) Indoor air pollutants,

4) Poorly installed HVAC system that either causes hypothermia or heat stroke (sometimes both in the same day),

5) Strange food left on a filing cabinet,

6) Unidentifiable stuff from the community fridge including odors,

7) That weird lady's psycho boyfriend,

I have told more than one excavator operator, "If you are going to drop that on me, hit me square. I don't want to feel it."

We have a federal department that oversees jobsite safety so why would there be anything dangerous at a construction site?
Because it's impossible to make them "safe"; the best you can do is mitigate the risk. Even then, all it takes is one person not following the rules. Like a guy in Seattle late last year - if I remember the story correctly, it was his first time out on high steel - and he wasn't tying off his harness properly.

As for the odds of workplace violence killing me - meh. I've been threatened by contractors before, I'm sure I will be again. Outside of work, violence is a likely way for me to die. There's just too much hate out there.

It wasn't a construction site, but I fell off a ladder looking at a fan while doing an existing conditions survey for a school. I had a partially torn tendon and a small fracture. It's a long way from dying, but accidents do happen.

Because it's impossible to make them "safe"; the best you can do is mitigate the risk. Even then, all it takes is one person not following the rules. Like a guy in Seattle late last year - if I remember the story correctly, it was his first time out on high steel - and he wasn't tying off his harness properly.

As for the odds of workplace violence killing me - meh. I've been threatened by contractors before, I'm sure I will be again. Outside of work, violence is a likely way for me to die. There's just too much hate out there.

I don't think that he was actually expecting an answer... pretty sure that was typed with the sarcasm font.

Generally I have found that those who only see hate out there are pretty hateful people themselves, you know the whole the world is a mirror of what is inside your heart/mind kind of thing....

4) Poorly installed HVAC system that either causes hypothermia or heat stroke (sometimes both in the same day),

Don't forget a large cache of nano-thermite......... That stuff'll get after ya!

What about vending machines? Some of the guys here get rather mad when it eats their dollar and they start rocking it...

Don't forget a large cache of nano-thermite......... That stuff'll get after ya!
Hell, I'm more worried about holographic planes. They'll mess your day up.

Hell, I'm more worried about holographic planes. They'll mess your day up.

Don't forget about

aliens-meme-image.jpeg

In all seriousness though, I've never had a job that I wasn't concerned about getting shot at. Drunk hunters in the woods back in the days of spending time in the field, irate citizens that are ticked off because I issued a citation. Bomb threats and all sorts of stuff when I was with the DOD and here well a kid got shot over a pair of sneakers last month...

Today I was at the doctors and I saw a car that had a ton of bumper stickers and one said "Heavily Armed, Easily Pissed Off" It sounds funny, but I really kind of got concerned that the driver may have PSTD and just all of a sudden snap, and when they wonder if there were warning signs would anyone think it was funny then.

The truly scary thing is you never know who could "snap." It's always easy to see the warning signs after the fact.

Back