Working your contacts for employment... RIGHT

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HornTootinEE

Reaction score
And on another rant to take off from the P^3 rant...

Has anyone REALLY had any luck finding a job based on working their contacts? I've been working my personal contacts who have positions of authority in companies I'd like to work for, and all I get is "well, we don't have a job posted right now so we'll keep your resume on file in HR for 6 months" What?! Did I expect a job offer on the spot? NO but all those career people say thats the best way to find a position. So far the only luck I've EVER had is applying through an online or job service posting, which those career direction people claim is the last best choice.

End Rant...

Maybe not, never had a problem of likeability before so didn't think about it. Or the notion that companies just "make jobs" for some good candidate that knocks on their door is a bunch of BS

A good buddy of mine was a contract engineer doing the job I am presently doing. I started to look around for new employment under the radar of my old employer. Buddy mentioned on a whim that they'll need someone to backfill him. He didn't know I was looking around. During my interview, the boss man told me that I have a job if I want one. Long story short, BAM, got a better job through a friend of mine. :)

Didn't realize I had friends working here until I interviewed. I got the interview on my own, but I got the job because of my contacts.

Well, as this is the rant room that was my current rant for the day. My "contact angles" aren't working how I want them to right now, and it's driving me nuts just sitting around "waiting" I hate waiting-it doesn't accomplish anything. Don't confuse "waiting" with Patience... they are different here.

The place I worked at before I came back to USACE was actually an AE firm that I worked with all the time when I was working at the County., reviewing plans, calcs, etc. I got the interview through a headhunter so I didn't know who the interview was with. Once I showed up, my "interview" was basically, yeah the job is yours, so what have you been up to and how is the family type stuff.

Well, as this is the rant room that was my current rant for the day. My "contact angles" aren't working how I want them to right now, and it's driving me nuts just sitting around "waiting" I hate waiting-it doesn't accomplish anything. Don't confuse "waiting" with Patience... they are different here.
Where are you located? There is a shortage of EE's if you are interested in moving to Tulsa.

I was "poached" from my other job by a former co-worker. I suppose my case is slightly different from OP since I was for the most part happily employed at the time. Either way it was a very good move for me and I know I wouldn't have known about the opportunity and wouldn't have received as high of an offer had I tried it on my own. I've also been instrumental 3 times in my 6-yr carrer is helping two of my friends and my younger brother get jobs where I either worked or had previously worked.

Networking certainly works but not always immediately.

Back