Will cellphone use while walking be banned in N.J.?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
LOL...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20160326_Will_cellphone_use_while_walking_be_banned_in_N_J__.html

http://www.cnet.com/news/state-politician-moves-to-ban-texting-while-walking/

Here is another reason to take a break from texting or talking on your smartphone while walking in New Jersey: a possible $50 fine.

A bill proposed this week by Assemblywoman Pamela R. Lampitt (D., Camden) would impose a fine of up to $50 and possibly 15 days in jail for pedestrians caught using their cellphones without hands-free devices while walking on public sidewalks and along roadways.

If the bill becomes law, "petextrians" - people who text while walking - would face the same penalties as jaywalkers in New Jersey.

"I see it every single day," Lampitt said Friday. "Maybe they will think twice about it."

A report released in 2015 by the Governors Highway Safety Association found an increase in pedestrian fatalities, and cited texting while walking as partly to blame.

Since 2009, pedestrian fatalities have increased by 15 percent to 4,735 in 2013, the report said. Nearly two million pedestrian injuries were related to cellphone use, the report said.

Another study, from Safe Kids Worldwide, a Washington-based nonprofit, found that 40 percent of teens said they had been hit or nearly hit by a car, bike, or motorcycle while walking.

The survey of more than 1,000 children between ages 13 and 18 found that 47 percent of those who said they were hit or almost hit were listening to music, 20 percent were talking on the phone, and 18 percent were texting, researchers said.

Researchers say distracted walkers are more likely to ignore traffic lights or fail to look both ways before crossing the street.

It shouldn't be illegal but we should be able to grab the phone from someone walking and staring at their phone and toss it into traffic.. It's getting funking annoying....

It shouldn't be illegal but we should be able to grab the phone from someone walking and staring at their phone and toss it into traffic.. It's getting funking annoying....
All kidding aside, I agree. Society has grown far too dependant /attached to our mobile devices. And what's sad is that it's not until you get connected and your life is a 24/7 social/professional connection, that we realize how miserable it makes us.

One more reason to live in a cabin in the woods, off the grid.

There was a terrible accident some years ago near the office where some guy walked under the back of the last set of tires of an 18 wheeler crossing the street.   Then there was that guy last year that walked off a cliff while texting.     

Let's make texting illegal.  of course, after I post this. 

ftC1KX9.gif

635898829556162673-2142556022_Texting_1f5646_1517301.gif

Another study, from Safe Kids Worldwide, a Washington-based nonprofit, found that 40 percent of teens said they

had been hit or nearly hit

by a car, bike, or motorcycle while walking.[\quote]
Note the difference:

"Hit" = objective

"Nearly hit" = purely subjective

I was "nearly hit" by a meteorite today.  Okay, it was 948,000mi out in space, but that's a cosmic near miss.

Why is the government trying to outlaw Darwinism?  I think we should be encouraging it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually had people walk into my car (while it was parked) while looking at their phones...

I agree...let the phones sort out the dumb ones so they can be dealt with "accordingly".  When I used to park at the parking garage next to the VA and had to use the sidewalk to get to the office, nearly mowing over twits walking on the sidewalk with their heads buried in their phones was almost a daily ritual.  Hey great, you can stay on a sidewalk and text at the same time, but other people use that sidewalk and you weaving back and forth like a drunken sorority twat gets you knocked out of the way.

Note the difference:

"Hit" = objective

"Nearly hit" = purely subjective

I was "nearly hit" by a meteorite today.  Okay, it was 948,000mi out in space, but that's a cosmic near miss.

Why is the government trying to outlaw Darwinism?  I think we should be encouraging it.
Nearly hit is much better than the stupid phrase 'near miss', which is a hit. 

I don't see the issue with "near miss". It's a miss, but really close, as opposed to a far miss or simply a miss. 

these freakin "laws" have got to stop.  Someone want sot kill themselves because thay aren't paying attention, then so be it.  Just like the good old days before there were so many damn safeties on every machine:  lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.

If only the stupid ones eliminated themselves. Instead, they end up hurting the rest of us then turn around and procreate...

Latest posts

Back