Why do small towns oppose consolidating school districts?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Growing up in suburbia where school districts covered multiple towns (6+) I guess I don't understand the small town opposition to consolidating school districts. You keep your schools, it us just the admin folks that are consolidated and every town gets a say in what goes on with the school board so I don't see this issue. it really is a cost saving endeavor.

They did this in Paducah, KY recently and it was a huge uproar.

Most didn't trust the school board, liked their small high school that their grandpapa's attended in the 50's, didn't like traveling as far to school, etc.

McCracken County High School was the new consolidated high school that was built apparently against the wishes of most parents.

Yeah, taxes are a pretty big issue.

And a lot of times, the goals of the merging districts are different.

I'm not talking consolidating schools. I am talking consolidating districts. Each town had its own elementary schools, middle schools and most had their own highschools so there wasn't a whole lot of traveling.

plus we had better sports teams, better buildings, better standardized testing results... if they had sent us to the larger school we would have had more kids in the class room, lost out on a lot of extra curricular activities and probably gotten an inferior education

We want the government to save money, but will strongly oppose any measure that will actually do it.

And mostly once you have political "leaders" they don't give that system up easily...

Even when a city/county government unify they normally keep all the elected officials so you just get more BS...

And mostly once you have political "leaders" they don't give that system up easily...

Even when a city/county government unify they normally keep all the elected officials so you just get more BS...
They generally keep all the personnel and facilities as well, so cost savings are minimal.

Usually when school districts merge, the quality level sinks to that of the lower quality district, and the tax rate rises to that of the more expensive. It sounds nice on paper, but doesn't work well in practice.

^^^Plus, the school boards get consolidated and someone has to lose power in their fiefdom.

Our county has two school districts. #1 covers the main town of 60,000. #2 handles the rest of the county, with the other towns having a couple thousand people. "They do things differently" is the reason we have separate districts. I think the size differences are huge and would cause the smaller schools heartburn over being ignored. They are much more lenient about things in #2.

^^^Plus, the school boards get consolidated and someone has to lose power in their fiefdom.
usually that isn't the case. Not here.

Back