Who's up for some NCEES reform?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rleon, where did you order your stamp?? any of the web sites mentioned in this board or somewhere else local??

Thanks!

I'll order mine right away so I can start my sidework :) if you need for your sidework or for your company any foundations services, advanced geotechnical modeling, like FEM seepage, FEM settlement, sope stabilities, etc, let me know.

I am out of boynton beach... I used to live in Melbourne and worked a couple times in sebastian and vero beach.... long time ago

Sounds like you are about 2 hours south of me. I am sure we can bouce work off of each other. I specialize in Stormwater Drainage design.

that's neat!

in general after we are done w/ geo, the need a SWM design... I generally include K values in my geotech reports for your convenience...

you can get some info about some other stuff that we do at

www.geo-structural.com

K-values are needed for MODRET - the groundwater infiltration modeling software. You are down the in the South Florida Water Management District, I am not sure how their requirements vary from St. Johns Water Management District.

They both have pretty similar requirements WRT stormwater quantity and quality.

We're in the same field rleon.......send me some side work!! ;) :D

hehehe, you two can send me some side work then... and I could send you also the WM part of my projects... which county are you in, N Search?

wow, this thread wandered off and died

are we riding or what? :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I was full of steam a few days ago and since then have been side-tracked! :D

Should we:

- Write a letter to NSPE to be posted in PE magazine?

- Bring up the issues to whatever engineering societies where we are members?

- Complain to our boards?

- Complain to NCEES?

- Write or congress members?

- Do it individually or form a group to do so?

- Just write Big Mike and see if he can pull some strings?

And so on.....

Anyone want to throw out some ideas?

Ed

Ed,

I think that contacting NSPE is a great idea. There is influence over the industry there, and prompt, uniform treatment of exam results is a desireable action. We may see an added benifit of additional interest in this website.

NCEES is funded by us, at the direction of the State Boards. Our individual complaints directly to NCEES will have an effect if enough of us act. We should also make complaints to our State Boards, since they contract with NCEES. Follow the money.

Uniform treatment of the exam results is an important issue I think. Florida got notification first, but license numbers nearly last. In Colorado received results late, but I had my license number the same day. The confusing, parochial treatment of our results led to much consternation and loss of productivity. There were alot of angry people out there (who have faded into the woodwork now?).

I think that NSPE could be a central focal point in this effort. Are you a member? I choked at the membership costs, maybe I need to research the benifits more.

Congress has no interest in this, IMO. This is an industry and practicioner issue. The next step is to decide what we want to ask for.

KB

I blame the internet!

When I took the PE (back in the dark ages before computers), we didn't know what everyone else was going through and therefore had no point of reference. I guess I should have been upset and just didn't know it.

Of course back then it took almost 4 months to get the results so I guess things are better. But we have become an instant gratification society. Now I know what my grandparents and parents were talking about when they talked about a "simpler" time and the "good old days".

Mike,

I don't think it has anything to do with instant gratification. It has to do more with capabilities vs results. We have the technology. Other industries can do better using the technilogical advances that were made available to us all. Its kind of ironic that the number one industry when it comes to technology is not keeping up.

Its kind of like when I worked for a control contractor whose very own building had 25 year old, energy inefficient, thermostatic control of their systems. They were selling sophisticated systems to others, but not using one to their own advantage. When they realized they could put an automation system in their own office and use it as a marketing piece to show customers, their thoughts changed. But they had competition. Unfotunately, NCEES has no competition. Maybe it'll be harder to get them to install the automation system? :dunno:

It seems I hear every excuse in the book to settle for the status quo: Instant gratification, change is difficult, you have it better than we did, etc.., etc... The people who are afraid to change and become better are the dinosaurs of the world. Obviously, we are all intelligent people and we believe, until proven otherwise, that something can and should be done to improve the system. I don't think their's much of an "Envelope" to push here because I think their is a lot of improvement that is needed. But, pushing the envelope is what has caused increasingly better things to come to life.

Mike, I don't mean this against you. I just see a fix that should be/ could be made and I think it should happen. Here's the clincher: it will have NO effect on me. I'm done. I passed. What more of an arguement can I give? I could just move on with my life. But it needs fixing.

Ed

Last edited:
I agree. It could probably be streamlined. But let's look at what happens. Based on what I've read and heard (feel free to modify)

Test is at day 1.

Proctors have to account for all of the answer sheets, tests, etc., box everthing up and ship it back to NCEES. By the time NCEES gets everything, one week has passed. (My assumption).

They start running answer sheets through the scanning machines. How many? volumes of test takers is a closely guarded secret for some reason, but if I had to guess, 20,000 FE and 10,000 to 13,000 PE? So let's say 32,000 answer sheets. [EDIT - I JUST REALIZED THAT YOU HAVE AM AND PM ANSWER SHEETS - SO DOUBLE THAT TO 64,000!] I would hope that they would run them multiple times through different machines for accuracy. Including all of the kickouts that have to be looked at manually because of erasure marks or missing data or whateever, this probably takes 2 weeks. Plus I would imagine (at least I hope) that they pull a certain % to handgrade them to make sure the machines are working properly but I'll include that time in the two weeks.

Next, somebody has to start evaluating the answers to see if there are problems. I would hope that if the answer is "A" on a question but 80% of the people say "B", that someone has to look at that and determine if A or B is the correct answer. Or both. All those have to be resolved. How many are there and how long does it take? Who knows. Let's say a week. So now you have different answers to some questions. I guess you have to run all of the answer sheets back through with the revised answers. Probably multiple times again. Another 2 weeks.

So we're up to what, six weeks so far. Now they've got to determine the passing score. Based on the control questions or equating process. However that works. I bet that takes a week. Somebody has to review it and approve it for every exam (different people?) so probably another week.

So now we're up to eight weeks. Now they start coming up with all of the results and sending stuff out to the states to do their thing. That 10-12 week time frame doesn't look that far off. I guess if they don't do all of the quality control stuff that I assumed, it should be a lot shorter. Also, I'm guessing how many answer sheets there are. I didn't even think about surveying so who knows.

Fire away at my logic. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back