Who Knows Chainsaws?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
Along with our new house (in which I have spent a total of 6 weeks since we bought it in June) we got ~2.5 acres that is mostly wooded. There are some trees that are already down and some more that will need to come down...partly just to clean it up a little bit, but also because we've got a beetle that has made it to Ohio and is killing all the ash trees. Right now I'm looking Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo because I think the 12" Craftsman from 1982 that I got from Dad has finally died. It wouldn't be able to handle all this anyway. Husky has a 455 Rancher and Stihl a 290 Farm Boss that are both ~50cc with 20" bars, but based on the searches I've done the "pros" are calling them mid-grade homeowner saws, but is that all I need? Don't want to spend $1-200 more on a professional grade saw if I don't need it but I also don't want to be stuck having to replace something that can't hack it. Anyone think there would be a problem buying a factory refurbished Husky? There are quite a few of the 455 Ranchers on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my 16" Craftman gave up the ghost last year at the worst possiable time, I replaced it with a 20" Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I've been very happy with my new toy.

As a side note, I took the Craftsman saw to a local small engine repair guy. I told him how long I had the saw (4 years), how many chains I went thru (six) and a few other metrics. He basicly told me I got my money's worth out of the saw and he did not think it was worth fixing. I told him I bought a replacement Husqvarna and he said to expect it to last me a long time.

I have a 18" Husqvarna, great saw, except they cheapened up the bar slide / protector thing....

I have had it about 10 years, it always cranks when I need it..

My last yard we had a 2 acre lot, and got hit with the pine beetle also, I spent about two weekends trying to cut myself, and then I ended up paying someone to come in with a bobcat and knock em down and cut em up. If you have to cut down more than a handful I woudl seriously recommend hiring someone to do it. Once you get about 5 trees on the ground its amazing how much space they take up and how much work it is to make them dissapear..

^ditto on the hiring someone for a larger number. Or if you do do it yourself get the appropriate chain saw, even if you will never use it again. my FIL is all about the CHEAP. when they went to build their new home he had to fell probably 10-12 trees. He wanted to do it himself and he used a cheap ass chainsaw that kept popping its chain. Anyways, while trying to get the chain back on the chainsaw his grip slipped and the rusty old screw driver he was using ended up nearly impaling his other hand. It didn't go all the way through but I'd say darn near half way. requiring stiches and antibotics and a trip to the dr.

needless to say he paid someone to come in and finish, but even then he just had then get the trees to the ground and a cut in half. He did the rest of the cutting when his hand healed.

I really like the Stihl's. They've built a bazillion of them, they start easily and they're really easy to work on.

I have a Stihl farm boss that is flat out awesome.

The only negative is that if I go out after not having cut for a while, my arms will get tired after about an hour or so due to the weight of the saw.

I've been cutting wood for at least 16 years. I've still got my step dad's Stihl 031AV that he bought new, the local shops keep trying to buy it off me as it'll out cut most of the new ones on the market when I've taken it in for repair. Cut many a cord of Oak with that saw, now it's used on Birch & Spruce mainly with bars ranging from 16" to 24" depending on the tree. Stick with a medium home owner saw or get a light pro saw for the cutting you intend to do.

I highly recommend the Stihl or Husky. Poulains have gone down hill ( I found 4 in the dump last year alone, all running!), even though they are now owned by Husky! I also have a Husky 16" bar that I use for trim work and light brush, but it is a pro grade saw. The wild things are complete trash and not even good as paper weights.

A refurbished saw is usually as good as new, sometimes they're may be something slightly wrong with them, but typically nothing dangerous. Stay away from buying on ebay for the saw, you want to get it from a local dealer, yes it may cost a little more, but you can usually try it out on their lot to get a feel for it. Plus you'll build a good working relationship with the dealer should something be amiss.

Just my 2cents worth.

We heat with wood, and I've cut probably 40+ cords and successfully dropped large 40" diameter trees with my STIHL MS 260 Pro. I sprung for the Pro b/c I didn't want any issues. The 260 - smallest of the Pro series is the lightest, which is what I wanted because I spend 3-4 hours at a time cutting on any given weekend and I'm not a huge guy. Fatigue was a concern. I have never had a problem with the saw. I just blow out the air filter a few times per year and it's good to go. My brother has the 290 Farm Boss and so does my neighbor and they love it.

I sprung for the Pro b/c the internals are a bit beefier and the vibration isolation is better they tell me.

I worried above the weight of a larger saw, but would've got the 361 if I had it to do over. When cutting wood that's already down, the extra weight of the motor-head would only assist in cutting. It might get tiring when dropping trees which I rarely have to do.

If you plan to cut wood regularly, it's worth buying a high quality tool. If you plan to do occasional cutting / trimming, than a big bad-a$$ saw may not be worth the extra money.

STIHL only sells through their retailers. Whereas HUSKY's can be bought off the internet. I feel like STIHL is superior and worth a few more dollars. Mine will always start and feels well made. I spent somewhere around $400, but I feel like it was money well spent.

I dropped my chains at the hardware store to get the annual professional sharpening yesterday and look forward to get cutting. During the cutting season I just hand sharpen between every other gas fill-up.

Good Luck.

20" Husqvarna here, love it. If it lasts half as long as my Husqvarna 30-06, will be a very happy man. They tend to make very durable stuff. Just don't do what I did and leave the gas in it. Was only in there since the fall, damn Ethynol.

I worked on a brush crew for 3 summers in college for a rural electric company. We gave the Echo's a beating and they kept going. The trick is to keep sharp chains on hand. We would go through 4 to 6 chains on a saw in an 8 hour day. We would spend 30 minutes in the morning or after noon at the shop getting them sharp. By keeping sharp chains, we could outwork the contracting companies 2 or 3 to 1.

I have the Husqvarna I think it will work just fine for you. Had it for 5 years or so, still runs and starts just great.

The pros are only talking about a saw you will use 5 days a week 40 weeks a year. The 455 Rancher wouldn't be durable enough for that sort of work but for occasional use (cleaning up 2.5 acres and cutting firewood) it is just fine and probably more than enough saw.

I also really like the Echo saws. My Dad has one of there smaller saws and it will nearly out cut my Husky, it does seem heavy though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back