Which Chapters of NEC do we need?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatso86

Noob
Reaction score
I was previously advised to buy "Mike Holt: Understanding NEC Volume 1" which deals with chapters 1-4 and uses Chap 9 tables

I did buy the volume 2 along with a test prep, but I think i'm running out of study time. Should I simply focus on chapters 1-4 & 9 or are ALL chapters likely to come up?

I went through Volumes 1 & 2of UNEC but i'm struggling with almost every practice problem I come across (might also be because questions deal with 2008 NEC, I studied for 2014)

I think all of the NEC is fair game. Probably the concentration of questions will be from 1-4 and 9, but I'd also skim through 5 and 6 to have an idea of what is in there. I've been using CI's drills and they seem to have helped. I tried Tom Henry's index but I didn't find it that useful, it was quick for me to go through the NEC index and understand the layout of the NEC. I guess it also helps that I use NEC at work so I'm already familiar with it.

I would also think Chapter 5 could be a popular topic. But the whole code is fair game. You should be able to get the code for <$100. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also think Chapter 5 could be a popular topic. But the whole code is fair game. You should be able to get the code for <$100. 
yes, I have the handbook and the Mike Holt books. But even though I did well on his practice exams, the sample questions for the PE are always very tough for me

The whole NEC is fair game. The handbook is a better way to go if you don't do a lot of code work.

IMHO, the best study guide for the NEC is the one from Complex Imaginary.  The problems get you used to using the Code and the introduction offers an excellent strategy for tackling the problems.  It contains about 300 problems.  I only had time to work about a third of those but was well prepared for the Code questions on the exam.  I don't know for sure but I felt as if I answered every Code problem correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the strategy works regardless of which version of the Code you study.  It emphasizes underlining key words in each problem (basically all the nouns) and then advises looking for the key words in the index.  Sounds basic but it really works.

IMHO, the best study guide for the NEC is the one from Complex Imaginary.  The problems get you used to using the Code and the introduction offers an excellent strategy for tackling the problems.  It contains about 300 problems.  I only had time to work about a third of those but was well prepared for the Code questions on the exam.  I don't know for sure but I felt as if I answered every Code problem correctly.
too bad the one I have is 2008 NEC but I have the 2014 handbook.

I emailed the guy at complex imaginary and he was so rude and standoffish about incorrect information on his website.

The differences between 2008 and 2014 are minimal and subtle. The biggest changes I've seen are the voltage ranges in some of the articles. In 2008, they went up to 600V, in 2014 they are 1000V.

The differences between 2008 and 2014 are minimal and subtle. 
This. They also shifted/revised some of the general purpose wiring tables and added sizes. The biggest issue that could arise with the exam is a problem referencing a table/section and that not quite aligning with the 2008 code.

Take the current code book.  It matters.  A change in the code is fertile ground for a test question.

Yes I agree. I'm just saying for sample questions that are based on 2008. I would definitely take 2014 and NOT 2008 into the exam. I have my NEC tabbed with the tabs I got from amazon, worth the money in my opinion.  

The differences between 2008 and 2014 are minimal and subtle. The biggest changes I've seen are the voltage ranges in some of the articles. In 2008, they went up to 600V, in 2014 they are 1000V.
yeah that's what I kept telling myself until I kept getting references to non existing locations. oh well, I guess 2008 practice is better than no practice

Back