Which Chapters CBC 2007 Do I need?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcllee

Reaction score
I plan to just print out the chapters of the CBC 2007 that I need.

Thanks.

When i went in I tabbed chapters 3,5,6,7,10,16,17, and 23 in the IBC (which is similar i believe)...

But at that point you may just want to print the entire thing out :)

For the april exam you needed one table which is in most of the references, unless something drastic changes the test is based on IBC and ASC

The way they do the seismic calculation is different, factors are different, formulas are different.

The way they do the seismic calculation is different, factors are different, formulas are different.
Please explain. I think both of them will mainly have you going to the ASCE 7-05 for all your calcs.

I took the PE last October w/ the IBC and didn't run into any issues on the seismic portion. But i'd be interested to know what equations/factors/and calculation methods you're referring to (it'll be good to note in my IBC).

I tried to do the April exam with the CBC and went flat, the problems looked like plug and chug but I had nowhere to plug. The terms and factors given were for a complete different set of equations than the CBC. There was not one of the calculation problems that I could work. I dont have my CBC here but maybe Ill scan and post one of the seismic design equations so we can compare, I plan to retake the seismic in April.

Once again, keep in mind that the CBC/IBC will have some factors (along with nailing schedules, and a few other shear frames/diaphragm effects) that may be brought up in the CA PE (Seismic). But the main blunt of all the work (seismic design, wind design, etc.) is taken from the ASCE 7-05. Without studying this book it's better to just walk in, hand them a check, and leave. :D

Even using Hiner's study guide to study from you'll still need the ASCE for very specific questions.

Once again, keep in mind that the CBC/IBC will have some factors (along with nailing schedules, and a few other shear frames/diaphragm effects) that may be brought up in the CA PE (Seismic). But the main blunt of all the work (seismic design, wind design, etc.) is taken from the ASCE 7-05. Without studying this book it's better to just walk in, hand them a check, and leave. :D
Even using Hiner's study guide to study from you'll still need the ASCE for very specific questions.

I agree. Without ASCE 7-05 cannot do the exam as it is referenced a lot by CBC/IBC.

I can wish I had the smarts to walk in and hand them a check and leave.. I did not have ASCE-07 and did not realize how important it was. But I stayed and beat my head against the desk and tryed to answere those questions.. bla I did have cbc ugg..

I can wish I had the smarts to walk in and hand them a check and leave.. I did not have ASCE-07 and did not realize how important it was. But I stayed and beat my head against the desk and tryed to answere those questions.. bla I did have cbc ugg..
Sorry sir,

Using Hiner's study guide and flipping through the ASCE 7-05 simultaneously was how i studied for the test. I do think the test is unduly difficult for non-structural engineers. Best of luck come January though.

Thanks for you insight, that is helpfull as I try to get motivated to study, first need to shell out $$ for references/

Latest posts

Back