When You Should Add PE After Your Name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those in TX I was already assigned my PE license number a few hours after receiving the test results. After login in on the board website, there it was.

I am going to start my PE application for the state of Texas today. Should have started right after the exam. But I was scared like hell. Lol. Now I've to wait around 2 months for the state to approve my application and then provide me with my PE license

I am going to start my PE application for the state of Texas today. Should have started right after the exam. But I was scared like hell. Lol. Now I've to wait around 2 months for the state to approve my application and then provide me with my PE license
Started mine too! I ordered a transcript, and then saw a note that since I'm an EIT they already have it...OOPS...

Filled out the online application, but waiting to submit until I get more stuff together. I am probably going to do the Ethics exam today and get that out of the way.

Only thing left will be polishing up my SER and asking for recommendations...

Good luck!

Interesting. Does this mean that in other states, people take the exam without registering with the board?

In NY state, you have to be approved to take the exam by the board (education, references, EIT, etc) so after taking/passing the test, there are no further steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@chaosNJ that seems to be true. I remember a friend took an exam 3 years ago in Wyoming (October), and got a license somehow at the beginning of March. I here in Iowa, as mentioned above, got the license in 24hours after passing an exam.. So it must vary by state

Interesting. Does this mean that in other states, people take the exam without registering with the board?

In NY state, you have to be approved to take the exam by the board (education, references, EIT, etc) so after taking/passing the test, there are no further steps.
A couple of years ago, Texas "decoupled" the exam requirement - you can take it before. I think there are 10-15 states where you can do that.

Yes. In some states, you are allowed to sit for the exam without having to meet the experience requirements. I'm in NC and I know of two people in my office who have taken the exam before they had four years of qualified experience.

Are we allowed to put PE-pending? 
@indeterminatein, are you talking about after your name in professional correspondences? If so, no, I wouldn't. That would look silly and unprofessional. Once the board processes your paperwork and check you'll be good. You can wait 2 more weeks.  :)  

I need to do that now. I wished I would have done it right after the exam so that I would have something official to show for passing, but I was pretty sure I failed pretty badly. I did do the fingerprinting and ethics exam, so I just need to write up my SER and get recommendations, which is a pain, but a whole lot easier than studying! It would have been fun to sign my Christmas cards as Rebecca, PE, but I guess I can do that next year lol

Thats very true. Even I can't wait for the day when I could add a P.E next to my name. So I am trying to complete my application as early as possible. And right now I am trying to get PE references for me. I am an electrical engineer who wrote the Power exam. Can my PE Reference be a Civil Engineer? 

My name was added to the roster over the weekend.  I guess the PE is now official!

My name was added to the roster over the weekend.  I guess the PE is now official!
What state? I'm still waiting in Massachusetts for it to be posted on the board website website. I called and asked the board when they're expecting to post and the lady said "anytime now." I asked if anyone knew any more specifics and she said no. ...which seems unlikely.

What state? I'm still waiting in Massachusetts for it to be posted on the board website website. I called and asked the board when they're expecting to post and the lady said "anytime now." I asked if anyone knew any more specifics and she said no. ...which seems unlikely.
I'm in OK.  I'm sure they are swamped with processing new licensees.  I just happened to take the law & engineering exam the next day after getting the result notice.  I guess that's why I got my license number in one of the early groups. 

Just start using it - you passed the exam.  As long as you don't put a Seal with your name on an engineering document you won't be violating any of the Ethics (or in some cases State) rules/laws.  

Obviously, you have to wait until your license number is actually assigned (continuously check your State professional licensing Webpage), to order your seal.

Also, if your State offered PE License plates (as New York does), you will need a copy of your actual State registration certificate before you can put in an order for them.

Congratulations, and don't worry about the little things anymore - only the jealous or slighted (and I'm not only talking about those 'without' a PE - you will see) would even think of question it :)

Back