What type(s) of insurance needed after passing the PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markymarkCE

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if someone has already posted a similar question. Mods - please merge/move/delete as needed.

What type(s) of insurance should one get after receiving their PE and therefore adding sealing/stamping drawings and calculations to their job duties?

I know that a lot of companies have errors & omissions liability insurance that covers PE under their employ. Is it necessary to have your company explicitly put in writing that you are covered? Is it necessary to get any additional (i.e. "personal") insurance if one is not, say, a private contractor or consultant?

Please advise and thanks in advance!

E&O insurance from a company typically covers everything done under the banner of that company ... not the individual engineer sealing it. In that regard, as long as you practice engineering for company business/contracts you should be covered.

Many engineers get in trouble by moonlighting or doing charity work that is not under contract with the company. Even for charity work I require that the client sign a $1 dollar contract with my company to be covered under the E&O policy.

I have discussed this before but, I have Allstate Insurance for my home. My standard homeowner’s policy covers $100,000-150,000 professional liability insurance as a perk. You might want to check you policy or call you agent to see if it can be added to your policy.

Back