What exactly is a Bus?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatso86

Noob
Reaction score
I am so confused as I never really understood what this means.

Given the attached circuit, where/what exactly is a bus ?

on a side note, what is an infinite bus. I googled this of course but do not understand what I find.

View attachment 8596

An infinite bus is one that has no limit on the amount of current it can supply at a given voltage.  In the circuit above, since Van1 is an ideal voltage source, Bus 1 is an infinite bus.

Single-line representations of power systems as shown above are typically utilized to make analysis and per-unit calculations somewhat easier. This particular circuit appears to be a fairly typical distribution (bus 1) --> step-up xfmr --> transmission (buses 2 and 3) --> step-down xfmr --> utility distribution/load (bus 4)

Single-line representations of power systems as shown above are typically utilized to make analysis and per-unit calculations somewhat easier. This particular circuit appears to be a fairly typical distribution (bus 1) --> step-up xfmr --> transmission (buses 2 and 3) --> step-down xfmr --> utility distribution/load (bus 4)
so each bus is shown as a small vertical line under a triangle. What purpose is there for having 2 and 3 so close?

What exactly is the bus even doing? Is it something that exists outside of this circuit?

so each bus is shown as a small vertical line under a triangle. What purpose is there for having 2 and 3 so close?
Correct. And in reality, bus 2 and 3 are likely not very close at all. Transmission lines can span hundreds of miles. But in doing a circuit representation to perform calculations, there's no need to make them any longer than they need to be for a simple diagram.

What exactly is the bus even doing? Is it something that exists outside of this circuit?
A bus is strictly for power distribution. You could also think of it as a node. How does one get power from point A to point B? With a bus (i.e. over-head power lines that you see pretty much every where you go).

A bus is strictly for power distribution. You could also think of it as a node. How does one get power from point A to point B? With a bus (i.e. over-head power lines that you see pretty much every where you go).
So what is a real world example?

One bus right outside my house that distributes power to my neighborhood? Or is it a power station which is miles away?

Can I think of a bus as a "battery" that receives power elsewhere and keeps it for distribution?

So what is a real world example?

One bus right outside my house that distributes power to my neighborhood? Or is it a power station which is miles away?
Have a look at the image below to see if it helps out at all.

transmission and distribution system.png

so which are the buses here?
Anywhere you see lines (i.e. like the power lines you see in your area) connected to a terminating point that then distributes to a component or structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
A panelboard would be a bus. An MCC would be a bus. Literally everything where you make a connection is a bus, it is not a single piece of equipment, it is basically anything in the distribution that isn't a wire, load, transformer, etc.

What is it that you do and are not familiar with this stuff? 

A panelboard would be a bus. An MCC would be a bus. Literally everything where you make a connection is a bus, it is not a single piece of equipment, it is basically anything in the distribution that isn't a wire, load, transformer, etc.

What is it that you do and are not familiar with this stuff? 
I'm a structural engineer as shown here

<<<-----

1 minute ago, Phatso86 said: so each bus is shown as a small vertical line under a triangle. What purpose is there for having 2 and 3 so close?
Correct. And in reality, bus 2 and 3 are likely not very close at all. Transmission lines can span hundreds of miles. But in doing a circuit representation to perform calculations, there's no need to make them any longer than they need to be for a simple diagram.
3 minutes ago, Phatso86 said: What exactly is the bus even doing? Is it something that exists outside of this circuit?
Let's not forget about computer busses.

40a59cb15b9b0bdc8a950102c2fe350a.jpg

Getting down to what a power bus is, for a common application (there are infinite designs essentially) imagine a flattened 1/4 to 1/2 in thick piece of copper rectangular in shape. It is similar to say a structural member such as one of the concrete floors in a skyscraper.....all of the steel beams connected to the floor transmit a sum of the force to the floor and can redistribute to the beams below it. This is a simplified single phase image so a three phase image would be to have three buildings next to one another identical in force distribution. That's it.....all I got!

You may also see it spelled as "buss",  "buss bar", "bussbar", or "busbar" in some texts.  below is the Wikipedia definition which pretty much nails it:

"In electrical power distribution, a busbar (also spelled bus bar, or sometimes as buss bar or bussbar, with the term bus being a contraction of the Latin omnibus, "for all", or buss being short for buttress) is a metallic strip or bar (typically copper, brass or aluminium) that conducts electricity within a switchboard, distribution board, substation, battery bank, or other electrical apparatus. Busbars are used to carry substantial electric currents over relatively short distances; their greater surface area (compared to a wire of the same weight) reduces losses due to corona discharge. Busbars are not normally structural members."

Having said that in older substations or platn switchyards you may see large capacity conductor being used as bus.  In those situations it's commonly known as flexible bus.

You may also see it spelled as "buss",  "buss bar", "bussbar", or "busbar" in some texts.  below is the Wikipedia definition which pretty much nails it:"In electrical power distribution, a busbar (also spelled bus bar, or sometimes as buss bar or bussbar, with the term bus being a contraction of the Latin omnibus, "for all", or buss being short for buttress) is a metallic strip or bar (typically copper, brass or aluminium) that conducts electricity within a switchboard, distribution board, substation, battery bank, or other electrical apparatus. Busbars are used to carry substantial electric currents over relatively short distances; their greater surface area (compared to a wire of the same weight) reduces losses due to corona discharge. Busbars are not normally structural members."

Having said that in older substations or platn switchyards you may see large capacity conductor being used as bus.  In those situations it's commonly known as flexible bus.
Strain bus is our words of choice for conductored busses.

Should we add some complexity and start discussing load flow with slack, load, and generator buses? :dunno:

Back