What do I need to know in the transportation references?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure why?

Reaction score
I think I need to know what to focus on in the Design standard specified by NCEES

AASHTO A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets

AASHTO Roadside Design Guide

AASHTO AASHTO Guide for Design of Pavement Structures

AI The Asphalt Handbook

HCM1 Highway Capacity Manual

MUTCD2

PCA Design and Control of Concrete

ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook, 2009, 6th edition, Institute of Transportation Engineers, Washington, DC.

Note: I am not a transportation engineer and I don’t have time to through all the books and familiarize myself with them

If you not transportation, why would you be taking the transportation? What kind of work experience do you have?

Are you taking the Transportation Depth exam? If you aren't taking the transportation exam I would assume that the CERM may be the only reference you need (I may be mistaken, i took the transportation exam so I can't speak on the references needed for the other exams). Of the transportation references for my exam I only took the AASHTO Green Book, the Roadside Design Guide and the Highway Capacity Manual. I'm not recommending that's what you do, but that's what I took and it worked out okay for me. The CERM is an invaluable resource for any of the depth modules. I would use that as a guide as to what topics to understand and know how to find in your other references. I have heard that the 6 minute solution reference books are good too. I don't have first had knowledge of them however.

If you not transportation, why would you be taking the transportation? What kind of work experience do you have?
I do General Civil work but I took transportation depth last April !!!!

I tried to avoid environmental questions

I have no idea about construction

I read the reference manual and did a most of the problems but I am not familiar with any of the references except parts of the HCM that I used for problem solving

Not sure what else to do when I take it a second time?

I need to stick with transportation, I think

Are you taking the Transportation Depth exam? If you aren't taking the transportation exam I would assume that the CERM may be the only reference you need (I may be mistaken, i took the transportation exam so I can't speak on the references needed for the other exams). Of the transportation references for my exam I only took the AASHTO Green Book, the Roadside Design Guide and the Highway Capacity Manual. I'm not recommending that's what you do, but that's what I took and it worked out okay for me. The CERM is an invaluable resource for any of the depth modules. I would use that as a guide as to what topics to understand and know how to find in your other references. I have heard that the 6 minute solution reference books are good too. I don't have first had knowledge of them however.
I took the PE once April 09 and plan to take it again this April.

I do general civil work. I choose transportation to avoid environmental questions.

I studied the manual well and solved as many problems as I could.

I did well in the morning test. Very bad in the afternoon

I had the green Book I just did not know where to find the information.

When the question did not specify where to look up the information I had no clue where to look.

I think I need to know what to focus on in the Design standard specified by NCEES
AASHTO A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets

AASHTO Roadside Design Guide

AASHTO AASHTO Guide for Design of Pavement Structures

AI The Asphalt Handbook

HCM1 Highway Capacity Manual

MUTCD2

PCA Design and Control of Concrete

ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook, 2009, 6th edition, Institute of Transportation Engineers, Washington, DC.

Note: I am not a transportation engineer and I don’t have time to through all the books and familiarize myself with them

Bolded the best ones to go through and tab, get familiar with the index

since most of the people that take the transportation exam are not "traffic engineers" when you go through problems from the HCM, use the worksheets to work through problems, they give you formulas and page #'s to look up data from other tables, they look confusing at first but if you work through some problems using the worksheets it will save you time.

Good tabbing of the Green Book and the Capacity Manual are also very important. I used both for multiple questions in the afternoon and my tabbing helped save a lot of time. I used the Roadside Design a couple times too. I didn't study the Roadside Design, MUTCD, Traffic Engineering and Concrete books in depth. I basically spent a little time flipped through the pages to see what topics they covered. If I passed, I think this was a big reason because this is where you can get a couple right whereas those who didn't review them would have had to guess.

you should take a PE course to show you which important items to study for Morning and Afternoon

it worked for me

Good luck.

you should take a PE course to show you which important items to study for Morning and Afternoon
it worked for me

Good luck.
I opted to save my money and just used the CERM to guide me on what topics were important. It worked just fine for me.

The CERM is definitely a requirement to pass the exam.

I didn't take a prep course for the PE although I had a binder of questions from a coworker took the class. Personally, I think the PE exam can be passed without taking a course as long as you are motivated to put in the hours required. The way I saw it, the biggest advantage of prep courses is that it requires you to start thinking about the test a couple months ahead of time. If you can make yourself sit down and study for weeks/months ahead of the test, then you should be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
CERM is a must have

as far as a review class is concerned, you can pass without taking one....but in my opinion a review class is good because it will tell you "what not to study"... basically will help you narrow your focus a bit...

...just my two cents

I think one important thing to remember when using the HCM is to be aware of which type of facility is in question (Freeway, Highway, Multilane Highway, etc.).

They're all similar, but if you look in the wrong section, you'll get the wrong answer. When I was working through those questions, the first thing I would do is determine which type of facility the question was about.

Good luck on the exam!

Back