Water Treatment Question(s)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director
Reaction score
Here is my current question... while the breakdown of the test does not say that there will be combustion/incineration questions, the tool I had for my review class kept telling us that "we are due for an air-packed stripper and some incineration questions..." Needless to say, I hit that chapter in the CERM and the companion questions to the CERM and felt that it is not that likely to run across these questions. Is this something I should spend a night looking at?

Other question - Water Treatment - Other than finding total hardness of water and some other process related problems (sizing tanks, particle sizes, etc.), how deep does my chemistry need to go if I am taking the transpo PM (no PM water treatment). Again, my tool of an instructor made it seem like I needed to know every possible treatment practice and water contaminent. I was figuing on some general "best treatment practice for x is ...." type questions and maybe figuring hardness or some question on chemical loading...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

-Ray

Here is my current question... while the breakdown of the test does not say that there will be combustion/incineration questions, the tool I had for my review class kept telling us that "we are due for an air-packed stripper and some incineration questions..." Needless to say, I hit that chapter in the CERM and the companion questions to the CERM and felt that it is not that likely to run across these questions. Is this something I should spend a night looking at?

Hmmm ... I am thinking you are not going to need to know how to develop a design for an air-packed stripper or an incinerator, but there could be a qualitative-type related question that might show up.

Other question - Water Treatment - Other than finding total hardness of water and some other process related problems (sizing tanks, particle sizes, etc.), how deep does my chemistry need to go if I am taking the transpo PM (no PM water treatment). Again, my tool of an instructor made it seem like I needed to know every possible treatment practice and water contaminent. I was figuing on some general "best treatment practice for x is ...." type questions and maybe figuring hardness or some question on chemical loading...

It sounds like you are doing the right thing by going through unit operations, sedimentation, flocculation, sizing tanks, hydraulic residence time, etc. As far as water contaminants, I would say that qualitative-type questions could show up that would be related to what you are asking.

IMHO, I found many of the qualitative questions presented MUCH more challenging than the quantitative questions. It seemed to me that many of them were from left-field and would be difficult to answer without very specific experience in certain areas.

That's my :plusone: Feel free to post follow-up if there is something you think I could expand on.

JR

Back