Water Resource - NCEES list of topics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantaloup

Reaction score
I went through the NCEES list of topics required for WR PM , the first one is "Spillway capacity" I have not seen many practice problems on this topic, the second one is "Energy dissipation" I have one problem to try for today.

The depth before the hydraulic jump of the 100 ft wide rectangular channel flow is 3 ft and the depth after the hydraulic jump is 12 ft. Which one is the nearest value of energy dissipated in HP?

A/ 3000

B/ 4000

C/ 5000

D/ 6000

cantaloup,

All great practice problems. I'm sure people here really appreciate your help. Thanks, and keep 'em coming...

ktulu

I went through the NCEES list of topics required for WR PM , the first one is "Spillway capacity" I have not seen many practice problems on this topic, the second one is "Energy dissipation" I have one problem to try for today.
The depth before the hydraulic jump of the 100 ft wide rectangular channel flow is 3 ft and the depth after the hydraulic jump is 12 ft. Which one is the nearest value of energy dissipated in HP?

A/ 3000

B/ 4000

C/ 5000

D/ 6000
Energy dissipate is 5356 HP so C is correct.

Energy dissipate is 5356 HP so C is correct.
Cantaloup, thanks for bringing problems. Forgive my ignorance since I didn't yet start to study (shooting for April). But how can you get the energy dessipated without having discharge, Q. I am assuming you would use enerergy balance equation before and after the jump.

Cantaloup, thanks for bringing problems. Forgive my ignorance since I didn't yet start to study (shooting for April). But how can you get the energy dessipated without having discharge, Q. I am assuming you would use enerergy balance equation before and after the jump.
Tido,

You can use Eqn. 19.93 CERM 9th Edition to determine the upstream velocity. From there, you can determine Q = VA.

ktulu

Back