Watch NASA's newest rocket go Boom!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how many millions of dollars worth of frivolous nothings is this one costing us?

research is such a waste of money

After reading what this one is about, I'm a bit less skeptical. However, I'd have to say that as a whole, a CONSIDERABLE amount of "research" conducted by NASA has been questionable at best, especially when considering the gains per dollar spent.

After reading what this one is about, I'm a bit less skeptical. However, I'd have to say that as a whole, a CONSIDERABLE amount of "research" conducted by NASA has been questionable at best, especially when considering the gains per dollar spent.
Yeah. Look at all this worthless crap.

http://space-exploration.suite101.com/arti...pace_technology

And let me pre-empt the inevitable "The private sector could have done this cheaper and more efficiently." Yes, I know that is possible, maybe even probable. My point is that the investment is not without significant return, not only these but the intangible returns.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're removing the five hole probe cover!

How exciting.

Edit: the probe cover has gotten stuck on the top of the rocket and now they are tugging on it to try and get it off. Here that VT? The probe cover is stuck on top of the rocket (the large shaft) and they are furiously tugging on it to get it off.

Edit 2: After a lot of tugging, NASA was able to get the probe cover off. I repeat the tip is now cover free.

Yeah. Look at all this worthless crap.http://space-exploration.suite101.com/arti...pace_technology

And let me pre-empt the inevitable "The private sector could have done this cheaper and more efficiently." Yes, I know that is possible, maybe even probable. My point is that the investment is not without significant return, not only these but the intangible returns.
A lot of the stuff on that list, NASA co-opted from the military or used products already out there. Just saying.

I don't think space exploration is generally a waste, but I sure think the shuttle was. I'm glad to see the agency headed back to other places outside earth orbit.

A lot of the stuff on that list, NASA co-opted from the military or used products already out there. Just saying.
Which stuff? I don't know that you can draw that bright line between military and space.

After having worked in military and aerospace for 12 years my experience is that it all blurs together anyway. THere is not necessarily a bright line between space and defense spending. A lot of military and communications stuff was built on things developed in the space program (satellites, star wars, etc).

Public, private, space, defense, it is all intermingled, like it or not.

Doh, we're a no-go for 90 minutes b/c a cargo ship is in the launch warning area. :(

However, I'd have to say that as a whole, a CONSIDERABLE amount of "research" conducted by NASA has been questionable at best, especially when considering the gains per dollar spent.
Yeah, I mean, who needs scratch resistant lenses, cordless tools, kidney dialysis machines, CAT scanners, ear thermometers, satellite tv, or joysticks?

Which stuff? I don't know that you can draw that bright line between military and space.
Well, I missed this disclaimer:

Here are a few of the practical applications that have resulted from technologies and information learned by space scientists:
and thought they were claiming NASA developed all that stuff. My bad.

Back