Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In VA, you could buy beer and wine in the grocery store or gas station any day of the week until a certain time, 2am I think. Hard liquor only at the ABC which is a state agency VA Alcohol Beverage Control. In San Fran, beer, wine, hard liquor, and if you knew the right people, drugs, sex, and hit men at the grocery store, Wahlgreens, cvs, and privately owned liquor stores on almost literally every block until 2 am I think. But you can't get any alcohol at a gas station. In CT, only place you can get any alcohol is at the package stores. IIRC, Florida was very similar to Virginia except hard liquor stores were not state controlled.

I was fascinated to find that in Heflin AL ("Heflin ain't no picnic," I was warned), you wee not allowed to buy cold beer. Only room temperature.

Around here the grocery stores sell alcohol but the most common place to pick it up is the gas station. Fill 'er up and get one for the road! And a pack of smokes and a lottery ticket. And some doritos with your EBT.

around here you can buy alcohol just about everywhere, grocery store, gas station liquor store. The liquor stores are usually one stop shop for all of ones vices...alcohol/smokes/lottery/nuddy magazines etc...

Up until 1994, all retailers had to be closed on Sundays becasue fo the Blue Laws. Packies were always closed. Packies on the NH border started complaining becasue they lost business to the stores in the neighboring state. MA relaxed the law and allowed packies within 10 miles of the border to open for a few hours on Sunday. Then the stores inboard of the 10 mile limit complained and the law as relaxed further to allow stores to be open throughout the state.

around here you can buy alcohol just about everywhere, grocery store, gas station liquor store. The liquor stores are usually one stop shop for all of ones vices...alcohol/smokes/lottery/nuddy magazines etc...
Same deal to the north as well. Gets even more interesting as you get toward northern WI. Because then there are fireworks next to the liquor isles. I can't see how that is anything but an awesome idea!

In VA, you could buy beer and wine in the grocery store or gas station any day of the week until a certain time, 2am I think. Hard liquor only at the ABC which is a state agency VA Alcohol Beverage Control. In San Fran, beer, wine, hard liquor, and if you knew the right people, drugs, sex, and hit men at the grocery store, Wahlgreens, cvs, and privately owned liquor stores on almost literally every block until 2 am I think. But you can't get any alcohol at a gas station. In CT, only place you can get any alcohol is at the package stores. IIRC, Florida was very similar to Virginia except hard liquor stores were not state controlled.
I recall in Florida that Albertson's and the like would always have a small booze store attached, with its own entrance and hours. Couldn't sell hard stuff in the big, main part of the store.

There are no "bottle shop" restrictions here in Michigan. A retailer like Meijer will sell everything in one big box store.

I will admit to buying a fifth, Trojans and 9mm ammo in one Meijer purchase.

The clerk didn't bat an eye and gave me the usual "did you find everything you were looking for?"

I replied, "I think you are out of bottle rockets."

There are no "bottle shop" restrictions here in Michigan. A retailer like Meijer will sell everything in one big box store.

The clerk didn't bat an eye and gave me the usual "did you find everything you were looking for?"

:appl:

I liked NH, where you could stock up at the rest area on the Interstate. Talk about one for the road.

ND is pretty lax. You can buy it in the grocery store but it's a separate entity with separate cash registers. No sales in gas stations or quickie marts though.

:appl:
Yeah, I wish Meijer sold bottle rockets... I buy pretty much everything there too.

Update:

BATON ROUGE - The State Department of Child and Family Services announed Wednesday that it will try to disqualify Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients suspected of intentionally making purchases that exceeded their limit during a computer outage in mid-October.

Several EBT users were allowed by at least two big box stores to make unlimited purchases and some purchased food that far exceeded their limits, according to the Dept. of Children and Family Services.

Video showed dozens of empty and overflowing carts of goods in a couple of north Louisiana Walmarts after shoppers abandoned them when the computer glitch was fixed. Others had been able to leave with extra goods.

DCFS Secretary Suzy Sonnier said, "DCFS has no tolerance for fraud or misrepresentation of benefits. We are in the business of helping vulnerable families, and we must protect the program for those who receive and use their benefits appropriately according to the law. We are looking at each case individually, addressing those recipients who are suspected of misrepresenting their eligibility for benefits or defrauding the system, and the Department will take initial action against the most egregious cases first. The investigation is ongoing, and DCFS is committed to addressing those people who tried to intentionally and grossly misuse taxpayer dollars."

As a result of the outage, DCFS' Fraud and Recovery Unit received details of approximately 12,000 non-sufficient funds transactions conducted while the system was down. Many of these transactions were made by people who were no longer eligible for the program or who had much lower balances available to them than what was spent through the transaction. The Fraud and Recovery Unit continues to investigate the transactions and compile a list of recipients who performed transactions in excess of the available balance on their EBT cards or misrepresented their eligibility for benefits. The Unit will initially target the most egregious violators through the following administrative process:

• Suspected violators will be mailed a letter stating DCFS' intent to pursue disqualification of the recipient. The letter will include a brief summary of the issue, the recipient's SNAP balance prior to the transaction(s), the actual transaction(s) that exceeded the available balance and a list of the retailer(s) where the transactions took place. The policies violated will also be identified in the letter.
  • The recipient will be informed that they can appeal this action within 90 days through an Administrative Disqualification Hearing. If a hearing is requested during that time, DCFS' Fraud and Recovery Unit will request that a hearing be scheduled through the Louisiana Division of Administrative Law. All hearings administered by the Division of Administrative Law are conducted by independent and impartial Administrative Law Judges.
  • Recipients also can waive their right to appeal by signing and returning a Waiver of Administrative Disqualification Hearing Form that will be included in the letter sent by DCFS. The Fraud and Recovery Unit will impose disqualification upon receipt of the waiver.
  • If the recipient fails to return the form waiving their right to an administrative hearing, DCFS will schedule an Administrative Disqualification Hearing for the recipient.
Recipients who waive their right to hearing or have their case upheld during an Administrative Disqualification Hearing will be disqualified. Federal guidelines state that first time offenses will result in a 12-month disqualification from the SNAP program. A second offense will result in a 24-month disqualification from the SNAP program. Third offenses will result in a permanent disqualification from the SNAP program.

DCFS does not assume that every person who conducted a transaction during the October 12 outage intentionally committed fraud or a program violation. As with any other fraud investigation, DCFS is looking at each case individually and will proceed accordingly.
http://www.wwltv.com/news/State-will-try-to-disqualify-SNAP-recipients-who-abused-EBT-cards-230897271.html

Big show for the non-EBT card holders. They aren't going to disquailfy anyone and instead will waste more tax payer money with these "hearings". They should take the other approach. Immediately disqualify these individuals thieves, make them reapply for benefits, and then deny the applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grumpy_Cat-Good.jpg

Back