Wal-Mart Executives Sweat Slow February Start

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
“In case you haven’t seen a sales report these days, February MTD sales are a total disaster,” Jerry Murray, Wal- Mart’s vice president of finance and logistics, said in a Feb. 12 e-mail to other executives, referring to month-to-date sales. “The worst start to a month I have seen in my ~7 years with the company.”

Wal-Mart and discounters such as Family Dollar Stores Inc. are bracing for a rise in the payroll tax to take a bigger bite from the paychecks of shoppers already dealing with elevated unemployment. The world’s largest retailer’s struggles come after executives expected a strong start to February because of the Super Bowl, milder weather and paycheck cycles, according to the minutes of a Feb. 1 officers meeting Bloomberg obtained.

Murray’s comments about February sales follow disappointing results from January, a month that Cameron Geiger, senior vice president of Wal-Mart U.S. Replenishment, said he was relieved to see end, according to a separate internal e-mail obtained by Bloomberg News.

“Have you ever had one of those weeks where your best- prepared plans weren’t good enough to accomplish everything you set out to do?” Geiger asked in a Feb. 1 e-mail to executives. “Well, we just had one of those weeks here at Walmart U.S. Where are all the customers? And where’s their money?”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-15/wal-mart-executives-sweat-slow-february-start-in-e-mails.html?cmpid=yhoo

Gardee-loo!

we have been buying less there since the have started eliminating selection. mostly with the dry goods they have really just started carrying their brand. Sorry some things I am brand name only. I've tried the walmart version and it sucks.

since xmas we have been trying to just not buy anything.. sorry wal mart executives, Im sure other people do the same...

I doubt the execs are sweating at all. They'll end up with multi-million dollar severance packages if they get fired anyways...

I've actually started shopping at Walmart a LOT more for groceries. Much cheaper than the local grocery stores.

I suspect having no ammo has hurt their bottom line more than anything.

I used to shop almost exclusively at Super Target back when I lived at my old house. Ever since moving to my new neighborhood, the only local place with a decent selection and good prices is Walmart. Our King Soopers has an awesome selection, but their prices are just stupid, although their produce is 1000x better than Walmart's. The local Super Target is just an old standard Target that was remodeled to add a VERY small grocery section with horrible selection and bad prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Super Target near my last house was a brand new building (within the last 10 years), and was built to be a Super store. Because of this, they had an amazing selection, was organized very well, and I had no reason to shop anywhere else (except Mrs Dex still went to the local natural food store for fruits, veggies, and deli stuff).

We tried a local farm-share last summer for fruits, vegetables, and eggs. Really cut down on the food bills. No grocery/super stores in our area could even come close to their low prices. It was a heck of a deal. And needless to say the freshness was unmatched.

I've been debating investing in one of the 3. We don;t have these stores where I'm at, but I've been to FD and DLTR and liked FD better.

I am with RG here. We try to avoid Wal-Mart if possible. And we usually will stop in a Dollar General over the other two, although a Family Dollar just opened on the route home.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a small local grocery store, 2 gas stations and a Dollar general about 2 miles from the Farm at the intersection of two highways and we try to spend as much of our money at these locations just to keep them there. Some things in Dollar General are cheaper and some things are not, but they are similar to a small walmart...

The funny thing we see about DG stores is that they are placed in complete off-the-wall locations. But they stay packed with people. Talk about coming out of the woodworks!!

And the "walmart for small towns" moniker is right. My parents live in a small town in south Alabama, and my mom calls the DG there the "Silverhill Walmart"

we have a dollar tree and one of the other two I don't remember which. I will go to the dollar tree for wrapping paper and things that are single time uses, but even then sometimes walmart is cheaper than $1. The other I have gone into but they are just too expensive, walmart is cheaper. I do get the air freshner for the diaper pail from there though because walmart doesn't carry the old school containered air freshners.

Back