Vote looms in Ga. over solar power usage

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the funny part is, they don't work half the time, because they don't get enough of a charge (either from tree shade, or the unusually rainy weather we've had this year.) So, they'll be off in the mornings, and then turn on in the afternoon, after people have already parked. Then they get ticketed.
Sounds like a solid funding plan by the City to me...

Well, the funny part is, they don't work half the time, because they don't get enough of a charge (either from tree shade, or the unusually rainy weather we've had this year.) So, they'll be off in the mornings, and then turn on in the afternoon, after people have already parked. Then they get ticketed.
i was going to say that sounds like the Chicago parking meter problems.

i was going to say that sounds like the Chicago parking meter problems.
The best thing about WGN is watching the tomfoolery of Chicago officials on the noon news.

Anybody have stats on power usage broken out by residential, commercial and industrial? Instead of forcing changes at the utility or generation levels, it may be worthwhile to direct unicorn fart funding towards subsidies for individual home solar PV/water heater arrays in certain parts of the country. In some areas (Alaska, Pacific Northwest, etc.), solar isn't even feasible on a small scale, but in sunnier climates, it could put a serious dent in residential usage.

To clarify, I am against all forms of government subsidy, but the only thing I hate more than government handouts is government handouts for things that have absolutely no chance of working (i.e., large scale solar arrays for grid power generation).

Actually solar's doable in the PNW. It's not quite as fantastic as it is elsewhere, and some areas have issues due to snow, but down in Seattle and Eugene the drawback isn't that it's extremely ineffective to use solar (we do lose some, but not that much IIRC), it's that we already have plentiful and cheap electricity from hydroelectric and wind power.

I used to have a regular client that handled solar panel installations. Houses can fairly easily be self-sufficient (overall average); businesses with on-site warehouses could as well. Several craft breweries in the region run primarily off solar.

Edit: Seattle in Eugene have solar parking stations as well. I have yet to see one be dead.

/I generally have less than $5 in cash in my pocket

//"I live by plastic".

Last edited by a moderator:
We toured the headquarters of Michigan Energy Options, which has solar on the roof. They said their best-ever solar day was a cold, spring day. Hot days are not great for solar. Matter of fact, they said that solar can overheat when days are very hot. So the solar arrays could be shut off on the days you might think would be their most productive.

I wonder what the ROI on this thing is? Must operate at a loss to pay for it. If this thing is installed in DC, they will just pass a law to force Walmart to pay for it.

The PSC voted in favor of the proposal.

Here are some facts to consider:

- Georgia has less than 100 good solar days per year

- solar peak output is at noon; the load peak is at 5pm; at 5pm solar output is waning - which leads us to two words: "capacity factor"

- the capacity factor of solar is really good...at noon...on a clear day...in July...in South Georgia.

- the capacity factor of solar at night is zero

- in the winter, the CF can be anywhere between 0 and 90%

- Georgia already has enough generation for the near term (even including coal retirements)

- the capacity factor of nuclear is in the 99% range - it runs 24/7/365 (except for refueling every 18 months or so, but this is done during off-peak, so who cares?)

- if solar was smart/reliable/economic, the power company would be doing it already

- solar is only cost effective with government subsidies; so the consumer gets hit twice - once in taxes and again in rates

- to build solar with any significant level of output, you have to pave over something; I thought we liked trees?

- 1970's era nuke plants, originally licensed for 40 yrs, are regularly being relicensed for another 20; the lifespan of a solar installation is 20 years under the best conditions

- what do you think the operating lifespan of the new 00's technology nuke plants will be? 60? 80? 100 years?

Back