Unit Coversion Book - Lindeburg vs others

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FASTnSPEEDY

Reaction score
Just took the AM practice exam for the first time and missed a few questions due to conversions and slowed down on several others for the same reason.

I ordered a "[SIZE=10pt]Scientific Unit Conversion: A Practical Guide to Metrication[/SIZE]

" http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Unit-Conversion-Practical-Metrication/dp/1852330430 as it was only $4 and looked interesting and had 5 stars. I haven't received it yet but should in the next day or two, so no comment to how good it is.

That to say: do I need to buy the Lindeburg Engineering Unit Conversions book? Is that that superior to (or quicker than) what's in Mark's or the Machinery Handbook?

That book is huge.  Seems pretty impractical in comparison to the Lindeburg one.  It's got conversions that you'll likely never ever need, let alone encounter on the exam.  My 4th Edition hard back Lindeburg book is only 160 pages and there was not a conversion that I encountered that wasn't in it.

For future test takers that purchase the non-hardback version, you might consider what I did: strip the binding and get it rebound with spiral binding at Kinkos. It'll sit flat and stay open to the same page

Yeah, how did the book linked above work? 

I must say that my Lindeburg unit conversions book barely left my hands..particularly in the AM session.   I had tabs on all of the key units; btw, w, hp, 'cubic', etc.  Was so fast and convenient. 

I'm pretty sure that I used the units conversion book even more than the MERM on the AM exam!

Kevin

Does it convert lack of preparation to a passing score?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Lindeburg can divide by zero. 
I thought only Chuck Norris could accomplish that.

Time to reevaluate my existence.

Oddly the Lindbergh book does not have units of inertia (kg-m^2 and its ilk). Not particularly important for the exam, but useful to my work. *sad face*

All sarcasm this is one of most important thing to bring to the exam.  It will save you a bunch of time and ensure accuracy.  I used the Lindberg book and highlighted the most used conversions so when I was flipping through I could get to them quickly.

Or that a 7 day cruise = 3.2 pounds

Back