Travel!! Where are you headed; Where do you want to go? Where have you been?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not terribly exotic, but we took the boat up to Grand Lake St. Mary on Sunday. The in-laws are regulars at the big campground up there so we went up for the day. Their 5th wheel is giant so we could have easily stayed, but we have to get home to take care of pets. Took the boat out and cruised the lake for a bit. Hit up one place on the lake to eat, dragged the wife around on the inflatable, and then a bar that had a band playing.

Grand Lake is still really off to me. Not a terrible dive, about 2 hours straight north of Cincinnati. It's a huge lake, just over 13,000 acres, but it's only 10 feet deep at its deepest spot which is only two little spots towards the middle. The majority is only 6-8 feet deep. It was manmade in the 1800's as the water supply for the Erie Canal. It's had problems with algae, which I am certain is because it is so shallow. I keep saying, the state needs to pony up and dredge it. If it had a normal "lake ecology", it'd be a huge draw for tourists.

I just got back from a golf trip to San Diego and Phoenix. San Diego was awesome, but playing 36 holes a day in Phoenix heat was a bad idea.

Currently sitting in the airport to start travel to DFW tonight. Get to Abilene around 1500 local on Sunday (11/14). Headed home Saturday the 20th. Any suggestions for dinner spots?

Where is queen of travel, @tj_PE planning on going soon? I hope you have some fun stuff planned!

I was just in your state, but down in the Miami and Jupiter areas, visiting a friend and then family. I’d never been to that part of Florida before (though I’d been to Jacksonville in college, Tallahassee and Orlando as a kid). It was a good time. We got a really good Cuban good dinner in Little Havana and then went out in Wynwood for drinks. Our friend lives on the 30th floor of a condo building right on the water in Brickell, which was pretty astounding in terms of the view of the water and Miami. We even saw a manatee from his balcony, in the water below. We rode city bikes to South Beach in the daytime, which was interesting. It actually reminded me a lot of Venice Beach, in terms of how the boardwalk/Collins ave is set up — even down to the outdoor gym equipment!

While in general, south Florida was nice to visit, I don’t think I could ever live there (and not just because Miami is going to be underwater 40 years from now). I’d go back to visit again though!

Next up is Portland and Seattle for the end of December and New Year’s. I think we’re gonna make it a road trip!

Back