Travel to the PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsp002

Reaction score
I have to travel by plane to take the PE this April, and would like to know what others who have traveled did (or wish they didn't do).

My biggest concern is taking that much paper and how heavy it will be.

Did you check a bag with the books/references? I am scared of the airline loosing that case and then I will be SOL.

Did you carry the reference materials? if so, can you give me some tips and tricks please. How is TSA with a carry-on suitcase full of paper?

Thanks in advance for the input.

I never had an issue with TSA (2 checked in bags of books). Pack carefully though, some of my books were slightly damaged (not a big deal).

Make sure after checking in you confirm the suitcases will go to your final destination. Losing the suitcases would suck for sure (didn't happened to me), but not in your control, so no point worrying about it.

TSA doesn't care about books. They might give you a look that says "you're a nerd!", when they see that it's all science books; but they don't care.

The airline *might* care about carry-on weight, but you can probably talk your way out of that. Can you fit everything into 1 carry on and 1 "personal item"? Can you lift that weight into the overhead compartment without it looking like it's superheavy?

Some (all?) airlines charge extra for overweight checked bags (not sure about carry-on). I think if it's above 50 lb, you might get hit with an extra $100 or so. Go to your airline's website (or google) and search for their bag weight policy.

I would suggest that you carry your most essential references in your carry on and check in the rest just to be safe in case your baggage gets delayed like @Stardust mentioned. Generally this is not an issue for direct flights but with connections it is a possibility.

yeah defin sucks to have to fly, especially for Civil.. (too many books)

Where does Florida administer  the exam?  Is driving just out of the question?

I think I can fit all the binders and books in a carry-on luggage, or at least the most important stuff. I should be able to lift a heavy bag onto the overhead compartment.

Currently live in MN for the wife's job. We will move back home, NE Florida, at the end of the summer.

Must fly to Orlando to take the exam. Cannot wait to tee it off on Saturday am!!

We are active members of this website....there is no hiding our nerd!!! Vivan los nerds!!!

I was living in TN and flew to Tallahassee to take the exam. All my books were in a milk crate and it was a challenge finding a place for it on the plan, but I wasn't going to risk checking the books.

Back