Transportation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

eric08

I've read a lot about tab lists on various forums in here but have yet to find one to download. Can anyone help me locate some? Thanks!

I've read a lot about tab lists on various forums in here but have yet to find one to download. Can anyone help me locate some? Thanks!
Eric,

What exactly do you mean by 'tab lists'? Do you mean a list of referenced standards or the topics that are covered by the Breadth and each Depth portion of the exam?

If you are talking about tabbing the references, here is my adivce. Get a good understanding of how the standards are set up (HCM, MUTCD, Greenbook, Roadside Design Guide, Asphalt MS-4, etc.). For example, know which chapter of the HCM applies to the way a problem is written... and maybe tab the page(s) in those respective sections that summarize how the factors are figured. The sample worksheets at the ends of some of the chapters are nice summaries that can be put in your discipline specific binder as well (HCM). You may want to tab equations and tables that you find yourself using often while doing sample problems so you can get to them quickly.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and good luck!

-Ray

If you are talking about tabbing the references, here is my adivce. Get a good understanding of how the standards are set up (HCM, MUTCD, Greenbook, Roadside Design Guide, Asphalt MS-4, etc.). For example, know which chapter of the HCM applies to the way a problem is written... and maybe tab the page(s) in those respective sections that summarize how the factors are figured. The sample worksheets at the ends of some of the chapters are nice summaries that can be put in your discipline specific binder as well (HCM). You may want to tab equations and tables that you find yourself using often while doing sample problems so you can get to them quickly.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and good luck!

-Ray

...have come to the realization that a lot of my time will be spent putting my references together and not studying.
That is definitely the truth. I spent tons of time putting together my references. But I usually did it on days that I didn't want to "study" (ie sit and work problems). But it is good b/c you become very intimate with your references and it is a huge bonus when you take the exam. There were many problems that were look-up type of problems that I knew exactly where the answers were in my texts.

The last two weeks before the exam, I didn't work one problem but spent a lot of time in my books (this was after tabbing them, ect along the way).

That is helpful, I just started studying for the April exam a couple weeks ago and have come to the realization that a lot of my time will be spent putting my references together and not studying. Its very overwhelming! anyway, thanks for the advise.
For books like the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook or the MS-4, bring them with you on the train or bus when you are traveling or leave a copy in the bathroom. Knowing where to find the answer/definition/equation is really half the battle in most cases.

The MS-4 has no index, so knowing how the book is set up is a great help. Likewise, if you don't use the MUTCD a lot, knowing what is basically covered in each chapter will help you hone in on the location of what you need to find.

Good Luck!

-Ray

Just to add, tabbing is more easier to do while you are solving problems which is true for references like HCM, AASHTO, RSDG etc., as, its impossible to read them all. For HCM, if you just understand organziation of chapters, half-tabbing is done already. For example, first there are chapters on concepts and then on methodology. So, some problems (in fact most of the problems) will use formulas given in concepts parts. For all the reference manuals, except CERM, i did the tabbing while doing the problems.

Back