Top 10 engineers of all time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget about the little toy clown in 'The Little Engine that Could'

And lets not forget none them had PE stamps...the only one that really resembled a real engineer was the Otto fellow who got nothing for his good effort while his colleagues started billion dollar businesses..

GT_ME, TMcKeon, and Benbo
You sure you want to be associated with that group, benbo?
I read somewhere that those were, respectively, a multimillionaire HVAC expert who worked himself up from the floor at a top 3 school as well as the only guy in Florida with a PE and contractors license, and the top stormwater expert in the US.

Isn't that true?

Ford is WAY too high on this list. He was a great businessman, but....

4 spots above Archimedes Tesla, and Otto? That is a joke.

DaVinci #1? :huh:

That's probably the worst choice of all time. Sure he dreamed up some elaborate works and military equipment that were well ahead of their time, but a) VERY few of them were actually made, 2) some wouldn't even work if made, and d) he has MAJOR design flaws in many obvious areas (look at the cranking mechanism in his tank design). If he lived in today's world, he'd be canned by many employers for glaring errors.

I recently posted an article titled, "Top 10 remarkable engineers of all time" unaware of the cyber-controversy it would generate. I received some distasteful emails pertaining to not only the order but also the selection of the engineers.
Top 10 remarkable engineers of all time

What do you think and who would your list include?
Ludwig Von Prandtl - father of boundary layer theory - used on wing design and on countless real fluid mechanics and heat transfer problems

Osborne Reynolds - father of laminar/turbulent theory - developed the Reynold number

Frank Whittle and Hans von Ohain - fathers of the gas turbine engine - 787 anyone?

GT_ME, TMcKeon, and Benbo
You sure you want to be associated with that group, benbo?
I read somewhere that those were, respectively, a multimillionaire HVAC expert who worked himself up from the floor at a top 3 school as well as the only guy in Florida with a PE and contractors license, and the top stormwater expert in the US.

Isn't that true?
Oh yes, I remember that dude, should bring him back for some entertainment

Back