Timepieces

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
My maternal grandfather owned a watch and clock repair shop for many years. Growing up, we'd have Sunday dinner at their house every week and there would be clocks ticking and chiming in every nook and cranny. My grandpa taught me how to tell time and for some reason because of him I've always preferred an analog watch over a digital one. Even with the advent of cell phones and their clock features, I still strap a high quality time piece to my wrist every morning and will check my watch before looking anywhere else to determine the time.

So, what do you use to check the time? I expect a bunch of folks will say their phone, but I am stil curious. Right now, I have a Bulova watch that my wife got me for Christmas.

I prefer my sun dial. However, it's a bitch when there's inclement weather or at night. Not much I the ways of an alarm either.

I wear an analog watch.

Mike, cool watch!

sundial_wristwatch_with_compass_by_coppersmithdesign-d4qs4jb.jpg

Probably the only time I don't wear a watch is when I'm sleeping.

My everyday watch is a Seiko 5.

SEIKO5_SNK809_WHOLE2.jpg

Computer/Phone. Watches tend to irritate my skin when worn for prolonged periods, and I hate that they hit my keyboard wrist support. I used to have a Fossil watch that was stolen. Am looking into buying one for special occasions, though. I got the GF a Bulova for her birthday that was nice and have been considering one for myself, but have also been looking at Tissot and a few others.

My company gave me a Citizen Eco-Drive as a 10-year service award. I wear it maybe 1 day in 3. The other two days it's either the wall clock or the cell phone.

I have a Citizen Eco Drive watch myself.

I pretty much use it every day.

I have gone through two citizen eco-drives. The first lasted 6 years the second didn't make it past one. I haven't had the opportunity to replace it yet. I would rather wear a watch then use my phone because it is less obvious to check the time during meetings and stuff

Sap you missed my going west tread where everyone made fun of my watch.... But any self respecting outdoor person must have a watch that's solar powered, has an altimeter, baro pressure alarm , compas, tells the temp, etc... I think it also tells time I can't remember ;)

zemuzyha.jpg

i have two swatch watches. One is battery operated the other is a motion wind up. I've had the battery one since jan 2003, replaced the battery like 4 times and am on 4th watch band. The first replacement band was bought while I was in Switzerland, it broke while on vacation there.

Fossil watch my wife gave me some time ago...also have a citizen eco-drive that I wear on weekends. I'll always be a watch over cell phone (or whatever) for time keeping person

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an eco-drive that I've had for probably 4-5 years now. Its a titanium one so it is nice and lite and I have it on pretty much all the time.

when we moved I found my old HS swatch watch and now its in one of the 30 unoppened boxes in the basement! It was a true 80's piece!

My wrists are too small for "men's" watches and I won't wear a ladies watch, so I just carry my cellphone. I have a couple really nice watches, my BIL gave me an Armani watch for xmas a few years ago, and I got an awesome "dress" watch from my first employer as a bonus. Both are too big for me, so I have them displayed on the headboard.

I feel naked without a wrist watch. This is my daily:

63763653.jpg

I've had it since 2007 and I wear it every day, so it's been knocked around on construction sites and such.

Eco drive, hadn't heard of them but it sounds like a lot of you have them, so I looked it up.

They're solar powered? What are you all a bunch of tree hugging hippies?

I like my good old gas guzzlin' battery powered Timex Ironman.

Eco drive, hadn't heard of them but it sounds like a lot of you have them, so I looked it up.

They're solar powered? What are you all a bunch of tree hugging hippies?

I like my good old gas guzzlin' battery powered Timex Ironman.
It has a battery. The solar cell just keeps it charged.

However, now that it has been brought to my attention that I may be guilty of conforming to some Earth-Day type BS, I shall make amends by doing some burnouts in the driveway.

Stopped wearing a watch a few years ago after a cold swim after flipping the canoe. It didn't survive and I haven't bothered to replace it.

Phone / computer / wall these days; or i just don't care. Get there when I get there.

Back