Time Management Plan for PE Test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleasepass

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering how to set up a time management plan for the PE exam? I've read that this is recommended in order to not shortchange yourself in regard to available time when taking the exam. For example, leave the last 30 minutes to check problems and make guesses on those you have no idea, etc. Also, what is the best way to approach the exam? Read through all questions marking them easy, average, difficult? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The approach that worked for me was a modified "rating" system as follows:

Step 1

Start on question 1, Do you understand the question and know where to start?

Yes - Start working on it, go to step 2

No - Go to step 3

Step 2

After working on the problem for 4-5 minutes, re-evaluate:

Close to Done - Complete it

No end in sight - Go to step 3

Step 3

Write down notes on problem that would work as a reminder (thought processes, references, chapter/page numbers, etc), but be quick. Go on to next question, return to step 1. IF YOU SKIP A QUESTION ON THE EXAM, BE SURE TO SKIP THE CORRESPONDING LINE ON THE ANSWER SHEET. you dont want to waste time correcting your answer sheet because you forgot to skip a line on the answer sheet.

After you reach the end of the exam, return to the unanswered questions (starting with the questions you skipped from Step 2). You will be surprised how answering a few other problems will give you ideas on how to answer the "hard" questions.

The above allows you to get the "low hanging fruit" without compromising alot of time on the difficult quesitons. You will find with this approach that you will have about 45-60 minutes left over after going through the "easy" questions that you can spend on the unanswered question and to go back and double check calcs.

I agree with Dexman as far as the "low hanging fruit" theory.

I personally found that I had skipped some in the beginning that didn't come to me right away but once my brain got warmed up, I went back to work them and they ended up being no problem.

Good Luck

The approach that worked for me was a modified "rating" system as follows:
Step 1

Start on question 1, Do you understand the question and know where to start?

Yes - Start working on it, go to step 2

No - Go to step 3

Step 2

After working on the problem for 4-5 minutes, re-evaluate:

Close to Done - Complete it

No end in sight - Go to step 3

Step 3

Write down notes on problem that would work as a reminder (thought processes, references, chapter/page numbers, etc), but be quick. Go on to next question, return to step 1. IF YOU SKIP A QUESTION ON THE EXAM, BE SURE TO SKIP THE CORRESPONDING LINE ON THE ANSWER SHEET. you dont want to waste time correcting your answer sheet because you forgot to skip a line on the answer sheet.

After you reach the end of the exam, return to the unanswered questions (starting with the questions you skipped from Step 2). You will be surprised how answering a few other problems will give you ideas on how to answer the "hard" questions.

The above allows you to get the "low hanging fruit" without compromising alot of time on the difficult quesitons. You will find with this approach that you will have about 45-60 minutes left over after going through the "easy" questions that you can spend on the unanswered question and to go back and double check calcs.
This is great advice because most people get too caught up on trying to answer every question in order and spend too much time per question while doing so. Don't get too discouraged in skipping many problems at the beginning of the exam. Everything falls into place when you manage the questions in advance and answer them as effectively as possible. It's better to spend time on questions that you're not confident in solving towards the end of the exam knowing that you've already answered a substantial number of questions.

Good luck!

Anyone know if the questions are asked in the same order as the NCEES outline? On the FE it seemed like the morning pretty much followed the outline but I can't remember the afternoon Civil.

I ask because I know I'm stronger WR problems which would be last in the morning. Hence, I don't want time to expire and not get to these questions. Just something to think about...

I don't see how the order of sections on the test matters. You can choose to start from the section you are most comfortable with. As far as I know, the questions for each section are together so that should help you.

For most people time is not an issue, I have not heard where for the morning or afternoon very many people could not work through all the problems. I think dexter is right, read the problem and decided if you want to work it or not and move on. I think you will find the majority of problems being pretty easy, many are look up so jumping to WR is not really needed since there will be alot of low hanging fruit in the other sections. When you get to your strenght (WR) you will be able to work the more difficult problems which will help.

Also dont skip any problems on the answere sheet, if you skip, guess. The main reason for this is so you dont mess up your answere sheet by marking in a skipped place on the answere sheet, I place a + next to the number on the answere sheet if I think I can go back and work it, and a - if I really dont know. I then go back through the +s and then -.

I dont recall the questions being in order?? I think there were times where they seemed to be but then a random question would come up elsewhere in the test. Anyone else remember.

I don't see how the order of sections on the test matters. You can choose to start from the section you are most comfortable with. As far as I know, the questions for each section are together so that should help you.
They were when I took the test, and the NCEES Sample Exam is structured that way too.

In the AM, I started with the sections that came the easiest to me while studying - saving structures until the end. By the time I got to structures I was in a groove and that section was easier than I expected. I ended up having an hour-and-a-half left in the morning to check and re-check my answers.

In the PM, I used the same technique as Dexman but I circled all of my answers in my book and only bubbled my sheet on the ones that I was confident on. Time did get away from me in the afternoon, so when I went back to check the un-bubbled answers I had good idea as to what I was thinking the first time through.

Good luck to all of you.

The only thing I can add is that for me it worked better to read through every question without attempting to work any. Rate each one, then go back and do easy first, then progress the the more difficult ones.

Good luck.

Read through all questions marking them easy, average, difficult?
Some people like this method, but to me it's a waste of time to sit there using exam time to rank problems. If you realize a problem is easy, why not just do it while the solution is in your head?

Start reading a problem, do it if you can, but if you feel it will take too long to solve or don't even know where to start, move onto the next one.

For example, leave the last 30 minutes to check problems and make guesses on those you have no idea, etc.
Don't forget to check your scantron form to make sure you bubbled it in right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent advice from all, thank you! When I took the EIT awhile back I had no strategy but miraculously passed the first time. I can honestly say I hadn't read too much into that exam, but for me this round, I feel I need a good plan since I'm out of test-taking practice. I like the advice of reading through all the problems and answering them after the initial review is over, but maybe jotting down notes or answering the insanely easy ones right off the bat. However, I have been burned even in my studying, to answer a question quickly just to learn after the fact that I should have calmed down and really read the problem better. Important thing to remember is to try and relax and slow down a tad.

Another question... did any of you use a stopwatch during your test?

Excellent advice from all, thank you! When I took the EIT awhile back I had no strategy but miraculously passed the first time. I can honestly say I hadn't read too much into that exam, but for me this round, I feel I need a good plan since I'm out of test-taking practice. I like the advice of reading through all the problems and answering them after the initial review is over, but maybe jotting down notes or answering the insanely easy ones right off the bat. However, I have been burned even in my studying, to answer a question quickly just to learn after the fact that I should have calmed down and really read the problem better. Important thing to remember is to try and relax and slow down a tad.
Another question... did any of you use a stopwatch during your test?
I don't think you're allowed to bring a stopwatch unless you can wear it your wrist or place it on the ground. The proctors will tell you the time when the exam starts. There were no clocks in the room when I took the test so the proctors are obligated to tell you the time if you ask.

It sounds like you've mentally prepared for the exam and that's key. One trick is to be a bit apathetic during the exam and your mind will be calmer.

Good luck!

No need for a stopwatch. I just used a simple wristwatch (digital vs analog doesn't matter). Just keep an eye on the time, don't obsess over it. Remember it's an AVERAGE of 6 minutes per problem. Some will take 1-2, some will take 10, but most will be in the 4-5 minute range.

I don't know in other States, but in CA if the proctors found you writing in other paper other than the test booklet, you are in deep trouble.

So, people from CA be careful regarding this matter!

Good Luck Everybody!!!!!!

ALL NOTES WRITTEN DURING THE EXAM SHALL BE WRITTEN IN THE EXAM BOOKLET!!!!!! Don't worry guys, there's plenty of space to write out all of your calcs, notes, etc. without ever needing to erase.

BTW, don't waste any time erasing unless it's to correct a bubble on the answer form. If you don't want to write-out your calcs again, I would suggest just crossing out the incorrect stuff and writing above.

Back