Timber / Wood Construction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Reaction score
I dont have any reference book about wood / timber construction....Does anyone know what we need to know about this subject?

Can i download some reference material online to study? any advise and idea?

I haven't found any online info that would be helpful. However, I have the NDS 2005 Wood Design Package, which looks like overkill, and the Kaplan Review manual has a Wood Structure Design section and a Timber Design section in it. I don't know if that helps you or not.

According to the NCEES outline, timber is a subcategory under one of eight topics in the Other Topics section. Statistically, there is less than a 2% chance it'll show up on the exam. I don't plan on spending a lot of time studying it and am willing to take my chances with guessing. I may regret that if it happens to be the one question that pushes me over, but I plan on being prepared for the other 98% of the exam. Good luck on the exam.

I dont have any reference book about wood / timber construction....Does anyone know what we need to know about this subject? Can i download some reference material online to study? any advise and idea?

keep asking. $ is hard make these days.

Try the link...http://www.awc.org/Standards/nds.html it's the authors of the books. I got some free tables and commentaries on the site. The 2000 NCEES sample exam book has a few wood design problems esp. in the PM structure.

Const methods & management 7th ed. by S.W. Nunnally has a few examples. You may find a used copy.

My advise is to bring all of the design and reference books recommended by NCEES; because I was told by the P.E. review Professors, a few problems on the exam are easily & quiclky answered by just looking the subject Code book. Don't take any chances! Good luck!

Back