The worst downed power line I've ever seen

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...it must have been really wet or there was absolutely no flammable material around that line. With that much arcing, you'd expect a fire afterwards.

I can't tell. Are the aliens making crop circles?

Or the settings engineers were posting in a message board at the time they were working on this or the breaker trip coil failed. Impressive...most impressive.

Or the settings engineers were posting in a message board at the time they were working on this or the breaker trip coil failed. Impressive...most impressive.
Hey now, I'm a settings engineer with lines in the Fort Worth area, and I post on... oh wait.

I doubt it was one of ours though. We're more 'rural'.

The only similar problem I'm aware of with our distribution reclosers is with some units with built in battery power. In those units, batteries go bad fairly quickly, and they go bad in a "bad" way. We've had an instance of failed to open because the battery could not support the current required. Voltage was OK, but as soon as the relay tried to open, the trip coil sank the battery and everything died and the relay rebooted. Instead of tripping the one distribution line, the station protection tripped after delay (everyone on the station went dark, not just the 1 feeder). We've moved away from those battery units.

We were testing for battery voltage, but apparently not during a loaded situation. Didn't catch this under routine maintenance. But we're done with these batteries, they're nearly all out now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey now, I'm a settings engineer with lines in the Fort Worth area, and I post on... oh wait.
I doubt it was one of ours though. We're more 'rural'.

The only similar problem I'm aware of with our distribution reclosers is with some units with built in battery power. In those units, batteries go bad fairly quickly, and they go bad in a "bad" way. We've had an instance of failed to open because the battery could not support the current required. Voltage was OK, but as soon as the relay tried to open, the trip coil sank the battery and everything died and the relay rebooted. Instead of tripping the one distribution line, the station protection tripped after delay (everyone on the station went dark, not just the 1 feeder). We've moved away from those battery units.

We were testing for battery voltage, but apparently not during a loaded situation. Didn't catch this under routine maintenance. But we're done with these batteries, they're nearly all out now.
A solution to that problem would be a trip coil alarm. As soon as the battery goes caput, and or the trip coil burns it will send an alarm to the control center.

But I am not a relay engineer any more so do not quote me on this :(

A spectacular violation of the first EE Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Make Fire

Thank goodness I'm mechanical. We don't cause fires, per say, we just mangle fingers and tear limbs off.

Wait...

Fascinating.

But what would make the line flash at multiple points and never trip? The whole line could not have gone on the ground at the same time. Perhaps a higher kV line fell across a distribution line and we're witnessing the line components pop off one at a time. More research!

Or the settings engineers were posting in a message board at the time they were working on this or the breaker trip coil failed.
Wasn't me! I'm closer to Fort Wayne than Fort Worth. ;)

We've moved away from those battery units.
Can you share who made those batteries? Just curious if we might end up in a similar situation.

Back