The stupid self inflicted injury thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udpolo15

Reaction score
My finger and a drill got into an argument last night and the drill won.

i was trying to screw in a 2x4 into a stud so I could hang some drywall. the drill slipped off the screw and tore half my nail off and a gave me a a nice gash down the side of my finger.

Sweet. My buddy shot himself completely through the middle finger with a nail gun (16d nail) over the weekend. He didn't hit any bone but must have chopped a nerve in two because he can't feel anything above the middle knuckle and he gets a tingling in his elbow from time to time. Perhaps we should start a SRI thread?

:popcorn:

Speaking of stupid injuries... about 2 weeks before the Oct exam I was upstairs getting my son dressed and the baby started crying downstairs. I ran out the door to check on her and caught the outside of my left foot on the door jamb. Turned out that I broke the end of one of the metatarsals. I had to stay off it completely for a week and then wear a big boot cast for a couple weeks -- including to the exam.

The only good thing out of it was that during the week I was "working at home" I actually got a lot of studying done.

Sweet. My buddy shot himself completely through the middle finger with a nail gun (16d nail) over the weekend. He didn't hit any bone but must have chopped a nerve in two because he can't feel anything above the middle knuckle and he gets a tingling in his elbow from time to time. Perhaps we should start a SRI thread?
:popcorn:
RG, this reminds me of when you let someone borrow your nail gun which he used to nail his dad to a fence post. This same person did this to his own hand a little over a year ago w/ a table saw.

hand3lk1.jpg

Needless to say, I do not assist this person w/ home improvement projects.

The irony of the table saw incident was that the Friday before he sliced open his hand he went to a woodworking show (yes they have these) and he was raving about the table saw that detects when it comes in contact w/ skin and shuts down - preventing injury. He was going on and on about how cool it was but how it was a waste of money b/c you ended up paying so much just for that feature. Two days later he is sitting in an emergency room lucky to still have all his fingers

My most recent S.S.I.I. was a nice second degree burn on my right index finger from scalding water used when homebrewing. Instead of just pouring it at floor level, I hoisted 5 gallons of the stuff up to chest height and began pouring it into a bucket. This was obviously more cumbersome and I poured a fair amount of it right on my finger.

A couple years back I had 2 SSII's in one summer. In one case, I cut off a chunk of my thumb about the size of a shirt button while carelessly chopping an onion. I bled so much my kitchen looked like a murder scene. Had to go to the ER for this once.

Earlier that summer I hurt my neck diving into a lake. Not the common head hits the bottom injury, this was much stranger. I dove off, realized I was heading for a belly flop, and in the process of avoiding it landed awkwardly and twisted my neck so bad I could barely move it the next day.

^^^^^Seeing that picture above reminded me of my days in college. I worked part time in the medical library 3 nights a week to help pay for school and when it got slow I'd meander down the aisles picking volumes at random to read. There were some seriously nasty pictures in those periodicals and books. It only takes flipping through one volume of "Morbidity and Mortality Report" to knock your 20yr old "I'm invincible!" attitude down a couple of pegs. Some of the STD photos were enough to make you never ever want to take Mr. Willy out of your pants either.

When I was in college I worked in a pizza place. You wouldn't think that woiuld be a high risk job. It might have had something to do with the available beer and wine at the restaurant. They had a machine with two big rollers turing about 1/8" apart that they used to flatten the pizza dough. Well, one knucklehead kid who worked with me managed to run his fingers (all ten) through that. It was pretty grusome, and this guy had been a competitive black belt karate guy. I also saw my share of burns in there, and that meat slicer could really cause some damage. At my current job, an engineer who worked with me had three fingers ripped off somehow by an oil rig. The court determined he was 80% disabled (?) and gave him a lifetime settlement. Another guy at my last job was working on these big commercial UPS systems, with huge amounts of amperage. He touched a live wire and died instantly.

wow is that JM's hand?

I wish I could find the pics of our rafting trip where he jumped in the river and split his head open on a rock. Man that was a great trip :popcorn:

Do you still have the pics of his retaining wall that fell over?

wow is that JM's hand?
I wish I could find the pics of our rafting trip where he jumped in the river and split his head open on a rock. Man that was a great trip :popcorn:

Do you still have the pics of his retaining wall that fell over?
Yeah, that's his hand, here is a close up shot for some real nice gore

hand1uo1.jpg

He is really lucky he didn't remove his thumb when he did that.

I don't have any pictures of his collapsed retaining wall, I know he does. Fortunately there were no injuries in that one. Man that was funny.

I had forgotten about the rafting trip injury. Geez, I really hadn't thought about how accident prone he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have those rafting pics somewhere , but there not digital, I need to find them and scan them in.

S.S.I.I. YESTERDAY: Pushing wheel barrow around the house, the front wheel guard digs into the ground and the handle jabs me in the ribs. It hurts like hell today.

S.S.I.I. YESTERDAY: Pushing wheel barrow around the house, the front wheel guard digs into the ground and the handle jabs me in the ribs. It hurts like hell today.

That sucks, but at least it wasn't Mr. Johnson and the kiwi twins that took the brunt of the handle. :popcorn:

I worked in a manufacturing factory a couple summers of the college years. There was a laminating machine that would apply vinyl, etc to these foam insulation sheets. One day, the operator decided that he would clean the machine while it was in "operation" mode instead of "maintenance" mode. :mad: Apparently his watch or something got caught in the rollers and sucked his hand in and essentially ripped off his little pinky and also caused severe nerve damage on the rest of the fingers. This factory was pretty loud with all the machines running and he was on the other side of a full height cmu wall....I've never heard anyone scream as loud as he did. :210:

They rushed him to the hospital, where he sat in the waiting room for 3 hours because it wasn't a life-threatening injury :thankyou: (wouldn't want to be the doctor that told him that). He ended up losing his pinky and he was at home on disability for the rest of that summer. I returned to school in the fall and never saw him again....needless to say, it was a good reminder of why I was going to school and getting an engineering degree! :reading: The following summer, I stayed up at school and took classes and did research for a professor, never to return to the factory. :true:

Heh, I get these all the time. 3 days ago I too was screwing a long screw into a 2x4 when my bit slipped off and jabbed directly into my thumb. Lots o' blood!

2 nights ago a bunch of my neices and nephews were over. They were all doing these gymnastic moves, splits, kart-wheels, yada yada. So I had to show off how well I could stand on my head. It was awesome, I was up for a good minute, feeling proud of myself, and as I came down I landed on my big toe wrong, heard a crack, and now it's black and blue and I have a bad limp. 2nd time I've broken it in 5 months. :eyebrows:

Ouch!

Yeah, I get the "showing off for the niece and nephew" wounds all the time. They think it's funny as hell!

lol, finally found the pic of mine and roadwrecks accident prone friend..

Slide1.jpg

lol, finally found the pic of mine and roadwrecks accident prone friend..

RG,

JM wants to know what you are posting pictures of his head injury and not pictures of your head injury the time you ran head first into a door b/c it didn't open.

:brickwall:

Back