The Internal Combustion engine has some life left in it

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they tore up their dyno too.

The last slide in the original article's slideshow demonstrates why none of the good ideas presented in the previous 6 slides will ever see the light of day. Auto manufacturers are more interested in tweaks to the existing design than they are about radically new engines. Mazda took probably the biggest leap out of all manufacturers with the rotary engine, but that thing is still very small production. I'm sure we could make internal combustion designs that get 200-300 mpg, but if they never get installed in a production automobile, it's all just mental masturbation.

You actually think we can make an engine that will push these cars around with the power necessary to haul all the government regulated safety features as well as a few passengers and get 2-3 hundred mpg, and they're not even coming close because??????????

Of course they can't....THAT'S why you don't drive one.

Electric cars are limited by expense and battery technology, and I really don't see where an electric boat motor will work out, but I'll be happy to hear that story as well.

I yelled at the TV the other day when a Nissan Leaf commercial came on. It shows all these common electric items, such as a hairdryer, being operated as small gas engines. It says, "What if everything ran on gas?" I yelled because I think it ignores the fact that electricity has to come from SOMEWHERE and not all of it is coming from "clean" sources. A good portion of "electric" cars are actually coal-powered cars.

I don't trust any combustion-related article produced by "greenies". And lofting up broad assumptions of 50% here and 90% there is meaningless. Also, increasing MPG of an engine, but neglecting to factor in size, weight, frontal area, drag, rotating mass, etc... of the vehicle, again, makes a lot of the article hot air for me.

Finally, for umpteen years, people have claimed that the Big 3 have the technology to make cars obtain hundreds of miles to the gallon, but don't use the head design because it would ruin their future sales. I want someone to proove to me that any head, any design would improve MPG ten-fold even if friction in the head is ZERO, fuel is spot on, and the combustion chamber is perfect. :rolleyes:

I yelled at the TV the other day when a Nissan Leaf commercial came on. It shows all these common electric items, such as a hairdryer, being operated as small gas engines. It says, "What if everything ran on gas?" I yelled because I think it ignores the fact that electricity has to come from SOMEWHERE and not all of it is coming from "clean" sources. A good portion of "electric" cars are actually coal-powered cars.
I do the same thing!!!! You can't have it both ways.

I don't know, maybe it by way of all other real energy saving ideas.

Back