The "High Speed Rail" project

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableguy

Has never sniffed a stink bug
Reaction score
So, by now you guys have probably heard of the proposed $53 billion dollar (downpayment) for a high speed rail system interconnecting bits of the north and bits of the west.

Would you guys use such a system?

Think it'd be any better than airlines for delays, security, restrictions, etc?

All I can think of is the Simpsons "Monorail" song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw

While I love the thought of the engineering effort... I think it'd be a huge waste of taxpayer dollars at a time when we're drowning in debt. I just don't see it being worth it in America. We're too in love with our cars. I love the flexibility of cars.

Then again, in 20 years when air travel is no longer a sustainable business (due to fuel costs), high speed train may be worth it...

Mono... DOH!

I'd sure rather that $53B go towards, oh, I don't know, developing an alternative fuel source.

It's still comparably slow, will still make a ton of stops, and will still take one idiot terrorist attack to bring things to a grinding halt.

In theory I like the idea. Flying is a pain in the ass. You have to get there a couple hours ahead of time, check your bags, go through security, etc. just to get on the plane. You probably end up with a layover somewhere. Then on the other end you have to wait for your luggage, check in at the rental car counter, and drive from the airport to the city.

Lots of time wasted.

With a train, you just show up on the platform and get on. You probably end up at a transportation hub in the middle of a city where you can take a subway or bus where you need to go.

I'd rather see that 53B not spent at all. If I'm already borrowing 40% of the money I'm spending in any given year, the last thing I would be doing is spending money on something new. Besides, I think the high speed rail system will just bleed tax dollars at a higher rate than Amtrak.

Well, if they do make a new type of high speed train, why not go all out and make it wider and taller. They have to construct a new rail system for them anyway. Do it right the first time and leave room for future modification. Who on here hasn't wished the previous designers on a project did not leave some wiggle room for future uses. I know I have.

Seeing how Amtrak is hemoraging money, I think that high-speed is a boondoggle, and complete waste of taxpayer dollars. The hi-speed link in FL is repeatedly voted down...people just don't want it.

Its going to be more expensive than a bus, slower than a plane, and less convenient than a car. No thanks, I'll drive.

Here's an interesting editorial on the subject:

http://www.thestate.com/2011/02/16/1697097...es-of-good.html

So, by now you guys have probably heard of the proposed $53 billion dollar (downpayment) for a high speed rail system interconnecting bits of the north and bits of the west.
Would you guys use such a system?

Think it'd be any better than airlines for delays, security, restrictions, etc?

All I can think of is the Simpsons "Monorail" song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw

While I love the thought of the engineering effort... I think it'd be a huge waste of taxpayer dollars at a time when we're drowning in debt. I just don't see it being worth it in America. We're too in love with our cars. I love the flexibility of cars.

Then again, in 20 years when air travel is no longer a sustainable business (due to fuel costs), high speed train may be worth it...

I don't think I would use it. In some areas it makes sense (e.g., Northeast), but most areas don't have the population density to make it financial viable. Most trains systems in the world run at a deficit.

I would rather the money be spent on improving mass transportation in populated areas. The social/economic benifit (e.g., from less traffic delay) would be much greater.

also - let's fix what we have before we go build new stuff.

I/m only in favor of it if it is 100% paid for by the users with no subsidies, not paid for out of federal gas tax dollars.

Well, if for nothing else, we should keep our rail system viable for national defense. I remember during Desert Shield, trains moving tanks and APCs via a railroad along the Delaware River.

Trains are awesome for moving heavy, dense cargo. They are overkill for moving people.

Seeing how Amtrak is hemoraging money, I think that high-speed is a boondoggle, and complete waste of taxpayer dollars. The hi-speed link in FL is repeatedly voted down...people just don't want it.
Its going to be more expensive than a bus, slower than a plane, and less convenient than a car. No thanks, I'll drive.

Here's an interesting editorial on the subject:

http://www.thestate.com/2011/02/16/1697097...es-of-good.html
I lived in Florida from 1999-2002 and I think we approved the high-speed rail twice during that time. Politicians kept diverting the funds to other transportation projects.

Florida seems ideal because so many flights there are intrastate.

And besides Tampa and Orlando, all the major Florida cities are at least 150 miles apart:

Miami

Pensacola

Jacksonville

Tallahassee

It's something like a 12-hour drive from Pensacola to Miami.

I love the idea of high speed rail travel, and I thoroughly enjoy the system when implemented properly (i.e., in mainland Europe, Asia, etc.) The problem with implementing it in the United States is that we have a LOT of ground to cover, and no current rights of way. It would cost way more than $53 Billion to put the infrastructure in place, and a lot of people would have their land seized by the government.

When Eisenhower implemented the Interstate Highway system would have been the proper time to install the high speed rail infrastructure. We just put all of our eggs in the automobile basket instead of the rail basket. Trying to go back and do it now would not only be prohibitively expensive, but it would also be little used once implemented because people aren't going to change their travel attitude overnight.

In theory I like the idea. Flying is a pain in the ass. You have to get there a couple hours ahead of time, check your bags, go through security, etc. just to get on the plane. You probably end up with a layover somewhere. Then on the other end you have to wait for your luggage, check in at the rental car counter, and drive from the airport to the city.
Do you really think the TSA would leave you un-harassed at the train station if high speed rail were actually built?

I spent a lot of time on trains as a kid and I love riding on trains. Thumbs up from me. I wouldnt take one across the country but for a regional trip I would hop on a train without a doubt.

As for the economics of it Im a lot more doubtful. I think the total cost would be astronomical and $53B is probably just a fraction of the total cost.

All it'll take is one dipwad with a stick of dynamite in his sweatpants and TSA will install full body cavity scanners in train stations and you'll have "security" (theater) shoved down your throat there too.

Back