The final voyage of the USS Enterprise

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
This article isn’t about the flyboy antics of Tom Cruise, and Jean Luc Picard wasn’t the captain on this vessel, but it is safe to say that Gene Roddenberry’s tales of intergalactic combat were inspired by something a little more terrestrial. In fact, it is probably a sure bet that most everyone in the US has either seen or heard the word “Enterprise” in reference to a ship at some point in their lives. Today, we’re not talking about the science fiction Enterprise, but instead we look to the sea and talk about the real USS Enterprise as she embarks on her final voyage.

There’s not enough that could be said about a ship like the USS Enterprise. This one-of-a-kind vessel has been a part of all of our lives for the last 50 years (it set sail in 1961). Aside from being the longest aircraft carrier in the fleet, not to mention the oldest, the Enterprise was also the first nuclear ship in the US fleet. She has played parts in the Cuban Missile Crisis, acted as a “from orbit” marker for Lt. Colonel John Glenn’s orbital flight in Friendship 7, and played a critical role in defining how we launch aircraft from similar ships today. Sometime this year, the USS Enterprise will be embarking on her final voyage for the US Navy.

When the ship gets back from this final deployment, it will be decommissioned and its crew moved over to other vessels in the fleet. Being the only ship of its kind, and being the oldest nuclear vessel in the fleet, many parts for the Enterprise must be machined by hand when replacements are needed, which can cause problems when out at sea. At the moment, it would appear as though the name Enterprise will also be put to rest with the ship, instead of passed on to another vessel right away.

On behalf of geeks around the world, I salute the final voyage of the USS Enterprise, and hope that we’ll see that name plastered across a new kind of ship in the future.
http://www.geek.com/...prise-20120312/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Sometimes, you just seem to forget that the old and famous war gear must be set out to pasture at some point. How time flies.

:unitedstates:

My cousin was pretty bummed over this. He just enlisted in the Navy and was hoping to get stationed there once he was done with Basic.

It is amazing what was built with slide rules and sharp pencils; and how long it has lasted...

It is amazing what was built with slide rules and sharp pencils; and how long it has lasted...
I find myself having to remind some of my colleagues periodically that we're applying 21st century analytical tools to equipment that was designed with slide rules.

When rudimentary tools are used to design, over-design is applied. When high-tech tools are applied, equipment is made on the efficiency and performance edge. There's a reason the older stuff seems to last longer.

destruction-of-the-uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-7.jpg

When rudimentary tools are used to design, over-design is applied. When high-tech tools are applied, equipment is made on the efficiency and performance edge. There's a reason the older stuff seems to last longer.
This is the more common case in my opinion. Less "Jesus Factor", better control systems, tighter design and manufacturing tolerances. Older stuff tending to be overdesigned, so it lasted longer. But try explaining that to my FIL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just biased because I am relating two very different breeds of gas turbines we have onsite. The older ones (30 years old) are complete work horses, combustion temperature of ~1800 F, but are less efficient and produce less power. The new ones are on the cutting edge of efficiency and technology, "thin" material, and combustion temperature of ~2200 F. One can push the limits of reliability and equipment with greater analysis tools.

I bet the new ones don't last thirty years, though.
I have two 1973 Wheel Horse garden tractors, both 8hp. Presently I am looking to rebuild one of the engines. The 18hp Bolens tractor I also have (MTD) is a piece of crap. I plan on getting another 30 years out of the Wheel Horse tractors. Something to be said about building things to last.

Just for the record, in that book there is a picture of a nekkid woman on a wheel horse tractor. more amusing than titillating.

Back