The decline of the privately owned auto

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some counties, citities vote in an extra tax to make up for the gap in the funding from the federal gas tax, but the gas tax is basically the only fair tax that their is, dont want to pay it? walk or bike..

Me thinks RG isn't thinking about work...

im always thinking about ciTITIES !!!

even though I am kind of a leg man to be honest...

I don''t think it was a sperate thread, but IIRC, Washington or Oregon tried to pass a bike sales tax, and one of them wanted a per mile use tax because people weren't buying as much gas.

my personal opinion not supported by my employer is that if your vehicle doesn't pay federal gas tax it should stay off roads that were built and maintained by the federal gas tax...

on the shoulder of the road of course...

You cant get on a bus for free, Why should you be able to drive an electric car for free on the roadways?

You cant get on a bus for free, Why should you be able to drive an electric car for free on the roadways?

Because you pay property tax, and income tax....both of which, to some extent, fund roads.

I see your point, though.

Property Tax and Income tax dont really fund roads... with the small exception of cities and counties that use their general fund to do road improvements, but thats a small percentage.... in fact more disturbing is that gas tax revenue that you pay at the pump is used to fund non road / bridge projects such as trails, enhancements (street scapes), and guess where the FTA gets its funding from? Yep Federal Gasoline Tax..

Our city actually breaks out on the tax receipt how much money goes where (I think it is pretty nice to know where the money goes). Road maintenace and improvement is on there, but I really don't recall the percentage.

What's FTA?

Federal Transit Administration

They doll out millions of dollars around the country to small and large transit services, I guess for bus systems since they buy gas are okay for this system..

Back