The 2013 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squash aren't setting...any ideas?

We have bees...

My squash were hit and miss last year. I was told it had something to do with male and female plants, but since I only plant a few and from seeds, how to tell, ya know?

My squash plants are meh. I planted about six, one of which turned into the Hulk, while the others are either average or dying. The Hulk has produced a few squash, but about a week into each one's growth, the end turns black and shrivels. Grrr...

I am renting currently so I've never been able to do the full in ground garden, but I do have a jungle in pots on the deck. This thread is giving me space for garden envy. Last year I experimented with squash and got beautiful blossoms, squash would start and then shrivel and die. At least it was only a two dollar experiment. This year my latest experiment was kumquats. Even if I never get any fruit off of it, the plant is varigated so it's at least something pretty to look at.

I have the dreaded squash borer!!! I have been searching for a way to get rid of them, but apparently they don't go away...ever.

My gardenias aren't growing for shit, and the nursery I bought them from is now out of business. F*ck. It's a year old now and looks like a bundle of twigs.

We just replaced a $400 maple tree we planted last summer. It was budding just fine this spring until it got bit by one of the late frosts. The other 3 maples are just fine, but for some reason this one just never recovered. Luckily it was still under warranty, so I didn't have to pay to replace the tree itself, but it still set me back $200 for the install costs (those f*ckers are heavy, and there was no way I was digging up the dead one without killing myself).

^They're building a Dollar General down the street from work and I noticed today that two of their landscape trees are already dead.

Makes me wonder what the landscape guys consider an acceptable loss rate.

we just cut down a dead 50-60ft pine tree this weekend. I'm glad pine is a light wood. Mr snick manned the chain saw and I got to pull that sucker down. Lots of pines died this past yr. The neighbor lost another 2 and the neighbor on their other side lost about 6 of them. Not sure if it was the drought or some plight...

It has been raining since Thursday, so I haven't seen the garden since then. Ran out to grab the herbie-curby last night, and , holy-mily the rain has done the garden good! Can't wait to get out there this afternoon and see what's popped up.

Grass got real bad in the strawberries and cukes since then.

Picked a couple of peppers and some snapbeans this weekend. Beans were pretty good raw.

Picked the remainder of the corn. Didn't have bountiful harvest, but for the first attempt at growing something beyond a tomato in a pot, it went well. The last 10 ears were of various sizes, but most weren't that long. They were more like corn balls. Funny looking, but still good raw and cooked.

(Yes, I know, there's a joke in there somewhere)

Our corn tasseled up and is over 7' tall.

I have never had good luck with tomatos. Leaf curl and two maters on the vine.

we just cut down a dead 50-60ft pine tree this weekend. I'm glad pine is a light wood. Mr snick manned the chain saw and I got to pull that sucker down. Lots of pines died this past yr. The neighbor lost another 2 and the neighbor on their other side lost about 6 of them. Not sure if it was the drought or some plight...

Could be pine beetle. If there is a blue stain on the wood nearest to the bark than this could be caused by the fungus the beetles carry.

That reminds me, my parents have some weird blight in their yard that is killing roses, dogwoods, oaks, azaleas, and crepe myrtles. The leaves just start shriveling up and dying.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had home grown beans and a stir fired (sorta kinda) rice homegrown peppers mix. Good stuff.

Cut down the corn last night. I hope that spurs production of the tomatoes and peppers.

Back