Tension Member

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
This question regarding design of Tension members

In case of double angle back to back tension member with 3 or more bolts. We need to determine the effective area Ae

Ae= u * An

The factor u = 1 - xbar/L OR

u for double angle can be treated as single angle and we can determine it from Table D3.1 AISC.

Some references use the first method and the others use the second method.

Does anyone know what is the correct method for double angle case?

Thanks

You should use the 1-xbar/L, with xbar being the distance from the back of the angle (in contact with the gusset) to the angle CG.

This is how I have always designed angle connections. I think the single angle parameters you cited are a simplified approach that is used in lieu of the method I just described.

I hope that helps.

You should use the 1-xbar/L, with xbar being the distance from the back of the angle (in contact with the gusset) to the angle CG.
This is how I have always designed angle connections. I think the single angle parameters you cited are a simplified approach that is used in lieu of the method I just described.

I hope that helps.
Actually, it is not simplified approach. If you use 1-xbar/L, you will get u= 0.9 but if you follow Table D3.1 case 8 (3 fastner) you will get u=0.6 which is completely different answer.

Back