taping hand-written notes inside a book?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1981

Reaction score
I know they have crazy rules about not bringing lose paper and having everything sealed. I'm not planning on bringing a binder, but if I wanted to just tape a few pages of notes inside of a book would that still count as "bound"?

When in doubt ask those who make the rules...it would suck for you to lose your best formula sheet just because you didn't 3-hole punch it and put it in a binder.

As a side note, I had sticky note tabs in all of my books, written on in pencil, and highlighted over with marker. The proctors didn't say anything as long as paper didn't fall out of my books.

Tim, it's not like they search through your stuff, at least in Missouri they don't. The proctors walk around and watch you take the test. I had a loose sheet of folded paper fall out of one of my books during my test, not sure if the proctor saw it or not, but I don't think they would kick me out for it, I just tucked it into my book again and went on, no big deal...

But why risk it? You don't know how strict the proctors will be until you get there. I doubt you'd get thrown out, but they make take away the notes.

Get a very thin binder and put any loose pages in that.

I had a couple of items taped into books for corrections or improvements on diagrams. Each were printed/copied, not handwritten, and looked like they belonged. Otherwise, I 3-hole punched and bound everything.

Here's what is on the ncees candidate agreement on their website.

All reference materials must be bound and remain bound during the exam. Bound refers to (1) materials permanently bound, as by stitching or glue, and (2) materials securely fastened in their covers by fasteners that penetrate all papers. Ring binders, spiral binders, plastic snap binders, brads, and screw posts are acceptable fasteners. Staples are not acceptable fasteners.

I don't think tape counts - I'd say if it's not stitched or glued, the "binding" must penetrate all the papers. You're better off taking a binder - why take a chance?

It certainly is not worth the risk IMO. I had a binder from GA Tech that was shipped to me and that I used on the exam. What I forgot to remove was the FedEx packing slip that was in the back inner pocket. One of the proctors actually did see it and told me they had to confiscate it. I was sweating that one out for a good couple days thinking my results might have been invalidated. But that didn't end up being the case.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been using the MERM for everything, so I don't really have loose notes. All I really want to tape to the inside a list of what pages things are on for quick reference. I could just use tabs, but I heard there are crazy rules about that too, that they have to be "permanent tabs" because sticky-notes count as loose paper. I don't have any of these "permanent tabs" and don't really want to waste my time finding them at the store.

My thinking was that a binder just for one sheet of paper would be stupid, but now I'm thinking there are a few other things I should put in it so I'll probably just include this with the binder. Thanks for the input everyone.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been using the MERM for everything, so I don't really have loose notes. All I really want to tape to the inside a list of what pages things are on for quick reference. I could just use tabs, but I heard there are crazy rules about that too, that they have to be "permanent tabs" because sticky-notes count as loose paper. I don't have any of these "permanent tabs" and don't really want to waste my time finding them at the store.

The tabs are in the same section of the store as post-it notes!

The rules aren't that crazy. http://ncees.org/exams/exam-day-policies/ "Sticky notes and flags are permitted only when they remain attached to book pages."

If you shake your book/binder/ref material and nothing falls out (whether sheets, post-its or tabs) then you are good. I think that is how a proctor would go about enforcing the rule if they do.

Back