Supe- you should come do this hill climb next year..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my bucket list.  When I started the RX7 rebuild, I made sure to build the roll cage to be legal for both Pikes Peak and Mount Washington.

There's a few things that make Pikes Peak tough.

1) Just getting picked is increasingly difficult.  If you're not a pro or factory backed team, you've got to have a pretty solid resume and apply at least a year in advance just about to get in.

2) Expensive - Just the entry fees are over $2k last I had checked.  Then add hotel costs, meals, car maintenance/spares, gas...

3) Speaking of costs... apply those over a minimum of two weeks.  With travel time, the pre-event meetings, practice days, and the actual event, it's basically a two week proposition.  

That said, I do plan to do it some days.  Friend/fellow racer (and Finnish guy) Heikki was out there scouting this year as he plans to run in the next year or two (he's been King of the Hill too many times to count in his turbocharged Locost), as is another friend/racer out of Illinois (also a King of the Hill and just all around fast driver) in his LS powered 240Z.  

I went to the "pre-event" one year. Was really cool they had the cars zipping around Downtown CO Springs. Caught some of it on TV. It's really crazy.

That's a tough drive just driving it normally at 45 mph. There are 0 guard rails and a large chance of death if you don't stay between the white lines!

They filmed one of the fast and furious movies there (the one where the cars fall out of the plane into the roads)

Yep.  Do a search for Jeremy Foley's Pike's Peak crash.  300 yards tumbling down the side of the mountain.  He may actually make an appearance at the next Dragon Hillclimb in his new car.

I have mixed emotions on what to do with the car to be there.  On the one hand, you can't be competitive without a ton of power and forced induction.  On the other hand, having a huge power loss at that altitude for a course rookie may not be such a bad thing...

Sure, it's easy to do slow.  Driving at 95% of the car's ability, though...

I drove it at around 45 mph in a rental car? ;)

(which was still scary as fuck sometimes)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's on my bucket list too...on my bike. At a pace somewhere between 5 and 10 mph on the climb up. Significantly faster (45-50) on the way down.

I'd be shitting bricks going downhill on two wheels at that speed on PP.

Based on previous hillclimbing experience, I can attest to the fact that you don't realize how high you are or how steep your ascent was until you're going downhill.

we were doing some wheeling up around South Park this past weekend. I had a gang of mtn bikers zip past me while I was going down around a 15%  rocky downhill, it was raining like hell.  I thought road bikers were crazy!  I didn't see any of them until they were right next to me, had the jeep slipped a few feet in the mud either way they would have been nocked down a good bit..

On my bucket list.  When I started the RX7 rebuild, I made sure to build the roll cage to be legal for both Pikes Peak and Mount Washington.

There's a few things that make Pikes Peak tough.

1) Just getting picked is increasingly difficult.  If you're not a pro or factory backed team, you've got to have a pretty solid resume and apply at least a year in advance just about to get in.

2) Expensive - Just the entry fees are over $2k last I had checked.  Then add hotel costs, meals, car maintenance/spares, gas...

3) Speaking of costs... apply those over a minimum of two weeks.  With travel time, the pre-event meetings, practice days, and the actual event, it's basically a two week proposition.  

That said, I do plan to do it some days.  Friend/fellow racer (and Finnish guy) Heikki was out there scouting this year as he plans to run in the next year or two (he's been King of the Hill too many times to count in his turbocharged Locost), as is another friend/racer out of Illinois (also a King of the Hill and just all around fast driver) in his LS powered 240Z.  
If you do the Mount Washington climb you have to get one of these stickers  :D

KJH_1268-01.jpg

If you do the Mount Washington climb you have to get one of these stickers  :D

My friend Jeremy (not the one that crashed at PP) had one of those on the back of his EVO after running there.

Back