Studying for Oct '09 Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elarocque

Reaction score
Lindeburg spends 8 chapters within Topic IV: Air Resources #1: Ventilation, with a great deal of material on HVAC systems

i've started to go through this material this week and it is not only difficult in my opinion, but also robust/lengthy

anyone have advice/guidanc? - should i simply skim through these 8 chapters?-and focus more on Lindeburg's Air Resources #2: Fuels and Combustion, Air Quality?

Thank you for the help - I need it, no doubt.

-Eric

Check the first chapter of the book. There's a suggested outline to follow during your studying. I only read those chapters that were recommended. I think it cuts out two or three chapters.

If you then have trouble grasping what you're studying, then go back and read the background chapters.

Skip the HVAC stuff - I did. Focus on combustion and air quality and the "real" enviro air topics. I don't even know why the HVAC stuff is in there - it's just lifted straight out of the ME manual.

You'll need to know a little about ventillation, but mroe related to the OSHA requirements for fume hoods etc., and also the "ventilation equation" (how much time it takes to clear the air in a room at a certain exhaust flow) which I think Lindberg (or Schnetier in 101 questions) derives using calculus. Just write down the final equation in the margins (in pen) and it's there if you need it.

Skip the HVAC stuff - I did. Focus on combustion and air quality and the "real" enviro air topics. I don't even know why the HVAC stuff is in there - it's just lifted straight out of the ME manual.
You'll need to know a little about ventillation, but mroe related to the OSHA requirements for fume hoods etc., and also the "ventilation equation" (how much time it takes to clear the air in a room at a certain exhaust flow) which I think Lindberg (or Schnetier in 101 questions) derives using calculus. Just write down the final equation in the margins (in pen) and it's there if you need it.
They didn't have derivations on your exam? What exam did I take, then? j/k

Yeah, skip the HVAC. Combustion was a biggie (IIRC), along with the NAQQS and such. I am no Air guru (that is Grand Master Dleg's area), but I guess I did OK, since I have the two initials after my name.

^I am not an air guru either. I learned it for the exam. Since then, I have been placed in charge of our air program, but in such a part-time role that it's really almost a joke. But you'd be surprised how much just studying for the exam can prepare you for real work. I never thought I would use it, but here I am.

Seriously, Lindeburg (and maybe one other reference) is all you need to learn air for the exam.

I didn't see any HVAC on my exam. You don't need to know how to provide ventilation to an office building or anything like that.

As for the air quality control devices (baghouses, scrubbers, etc.) it's really so empirical that all they can do is give plug and chug style questions about how many units you need.

As far as ambient air stuff, if you can do the old 'a stack is x meters tall, wind speed is y m/s, class z atmospheric conditions - what is the critical downstream concentration at ground level?' type of problem, you can do anything else they throw at you.

I wouldn't suggest completely skipping the HVAC stuff... Its the kind of topic that you should at least skim through in the Lindberg manual (won't need another reference) if you have the time after focusing on the 'core' environmental subjects. Although it apparently didn't hurt me too much, I wish I had spent a little more time on the basics of HVAC immediately after taking the exam...

thanks everyone for the help...HUGE help; this is why forums like this are so valuable

-Eric

Back