Student Abandoned in DEA Cell for 5 Days Settles for $4.1M

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Article says he will net $3.2 mil. Not bad for 4.5 days work.
no work. fasting, isolation, horrid conditions, psychological damage, etc. Wonder what the settlement per diem was for POWs or for the holocaust victims or even for some poor battered kids with f'd up parents. Just sayin' This guy got abused by an entitiy with deep pockets, rather than just plain getting abused he got compensated.
As far as "set for life"......"He changed his major from engineering to economics and wants to finish school, pursue his career and help take care of his mother." All nice things to do when you've got the money. He won't live like a king the rest of his life but it's certainly a good helping start over a lot of people.

Edit: Q.) If someone said they'd give you $3.2M to be handcuffed and confined in a locked windowless room for 120 hours with no food or water, would you take it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Q.) If someone said they'd give you $3.2M to be handcuffed and confined in a locked windowless room for 120 hours with no food or water, would you take it?

Are you kidding?

If I knew they'd pay, I'd do it in a second.

FWIW: Some of his physical injuries were/are because he tried to commit suicide by breaking his glasses and eating the glass.

Are you kidding?

Would it be filmed? Because recently we've been watching Naked and Afraid and wondering what kind of people say, "Hey, that sounds like an excellent idea!"

Yep, that thought crossed my mind too.

Are you kidding?

I think one big difference here is the fact that you would know beforehand what was going on and that there would be a reward at the end of it. This guy had no clue what was happening or if he was going to die in that cell. That would be terrifying.

Are you kidding?

I think one big difference here is the fact that you would know beforehand what was going on and that there would be a reward at the end of it. This guy had no clue what was happening or if he was going to die in that cell. That would be terrifying.

I agree with that.

Of course, in this day and age, people have come to expect a reward for misfortune.

ngnrd - PE said:
Wait... I'm confused. Are you saying we should pay millions of dollars each to POW's, holocaust victims, and abused children? Or that this guy should get the same nothing that those folks got?
I don't have a plan to make it equitable, I'm just making an observation. If one "deserves" it why don't the others.
Also, the students "abusers" were the individual DEA agents that put him there and let him stay there NOT the agency or the federal government. His compensation should have come from those individuals. He got lucky that his "abusers" worked for the DEA.

Look at the girls that were held by Castro in Ohio for 10 years. Once the trial clears let's see who they go after for compensation.

Last edited by a moderator:
ngnrd - PE said:
... Wonder what the settlement per diem was for POWs or for the holocaust victims or even for some poor battered kids with f'd up parents. Just sayin' This guy got abused by an entitiy with deep pockets, rather than just plain getting abused he got compensated.
Wait... I'm confused. Are you saying we should pay millions of dollars each to POW's, holocaust victims, and abused children? Or that this guy should get the same nothing that those folks got?

And, for the record, I'd volunteer for 120 hours of waterboarding on a 50/50 chance that they were going to pay me that kind of cash.

$3.2 million (net) is an EXCESSIVE payout.

Gawd, I despise our litigious society.
Have you ever seen a waterboarding? I saw a very brief (15 seconds, tops) waterboarding one time. I don't think I'd volunteer for it under any circumstances, money be damned.

Are you kidding?

I agree with that.

Of course, in this day and age, people have come to expect a reward for misfortune.
Are you arguing that the party ultimately responsible for causing an undue and extralegal hardship should not be required to compensate their victim? Or is it different because it's the government? If he was in a prison transport whose driver decided to park on train tracks and was injured when the train hit, would compensation be out of line?

There is the assumption that the people performing tasks are competent and capable of doing so correctly. If a low-level contractor makes a major mistake and the foreman/general doesn't catch it, who pays?

ngnrd - PE said:
I don't have a plan to make it equitable, I'm just making an observation. If one "deserves" it why don't the others.
Also, the students "abusers" were the individual DEA agents that put him there and let him stay there NOT the agency or the federal government. His compensation should have come from those individuals. He got lucky that his "abusers" worked for the DEA.

Look at the girls that were held by Castro in Ohio for 10 years. Once the trial clears let's see who they go after for compensation.
The girls held by Castro were held completely illegally, and should expect compensation only from Castro. The prisoner in this case was held by the government, legally. There was no reason why he should have been missed, except poor training, poor organizational skills, or malice. Supervisors should have seen or taken care of all three.

Back