Structural AM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_NC

Reaction score
I am taking the Civil-Construction PM October exam. I was wondering how difficult the AM section of structural was? From looking at the NCEES manual, it looks pretty general. Concepts, reactions, etc. The CERM has a HUGE section devoted to structural and there is an infinite number of subtopics that they could pull from for those 8 questions in the AM section.

Any advice, direction as I prepare for the structural AM would be great! Thanks.

Mike

If you have a good grasp of everything (or most everything) on the NCEES outline, you'll do great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike,

I wouldn't expect anything to crazy. You'll probably have some code or definition problems, a shear/moment calculation , possibly some reaction loads (as you mentioned).

They will not have you designing reinforcement for concrete beams or checking indeterminate systems. The morning portion of the exam will end up being easier than you thought, and the afternoon section will end up being harder than you though (at least that was my case).

G'luck

Thanks,

I just got finished with the Structural section of my review class. One thing I was suprised is that the professor did not cover columns AT ALL. He barely covered steel in general. Is it safe to say, I shouldn't waste my time with reviewing columns, etc.?

Thanks,

Mike

^ I there was at least one steel question that I recall. I'd review columns too....similar to beams in difficulty.

Any column question would most likely be a Euler Buckeling, or kl/r equation which you could find in the CERM. It won't be very in depth but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a basic problem showing up (for steel).

I think it would be very unlikely for a wood/concrete column problem to show up in the AM since they're much to detailed.

Guys - Please add your experience who have taken the exam recently (last April or october).

Back