Stop measuring!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exception Collection

Civil P.E., Washington
Reaction score
Note to other engineers:

If a colleague tells you "you specified this, it's not required from what I can see, here is the information backing me up, did I miss something or can I tell the client they don't need to waste money", don't jump down their throat until after you are done listening.

And if they are right? Accept it gracefully. Don't use the parts just because you already had the client buy them because you made a mistake.

Finally... Put the ruler away and zip your pants, I'm not impressed.

Note to other engineers:

If a colleague tells you "you specified this, it's not required from what I can see, here is the information backing me up, did I miss something or can I tell the client they don't need to waste money", don't jump down their throat until after you are done listening.

And if they are right? Accept it gracefully. Don't use the parts just because you already had the client buy them because you made a mistake.

Finally... Put the ruler away and zip your pants, I'm not impressed.
I can see where this has the potential to go down the drain quickly.

Yeah... I was a tad frustrated. Contractor hadn't followed the plans correctly, but my initial review indicated that the specified item wasn't required - or, really, even a good idea. Add to that the impossibility of installing it correctly (extra shear reinforcing steel over a column with two perpendicular runs rebar drag struts that had #4 stirrups) and it changed from "put it there because it's a good idea" to "I specified it, how DARE you question my judgement".

Added fun today: Apparently I should have caught the fact that the plans and the calculations were different. Despite the fact that I hadn't actually done the calculations, and was handling construction phase only. And despite the fact that the coworker did a "full review" to make sure the plans and calcs matched, AFTER I took over construction phase.

Edit: The other complaint I've received from this same person is that I'm not relying on my own judgement enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back