Stolen wheels, WTF?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ha, a good friend of mine was living in Maple Shade, NJ and woke up one morning and saw his car with all 4 wheels missing and the car wasn't even up on blocks.

ha, a good friend of mine was living in Maple Shade, NJ and woke up one morning and saw his car with all 4 wheels missing and the car wasn't even up on blocks.

Someone stole the Keystone Klassics off my 69 Charger and dropped it on the ground. Luckily the rear springs caught the curb before the rear quarters, but it took two bumper jacks and a three ton floor jack to get it high enough off the ground to stuff it with a new set of ARE aluminum slots (15 x 7 front 15 x 10 rear).

I wouldn't have worried about this with regular wheels/rims but on my jeep that had expensive tires i had locking lugnuts for $25 bucks..

Locking lugnuts are only marginally effective. Most experienced theives have a key because there are only a dozen or so types of locks and each brand only has 1 key. You can walk into Discount Tire and buy any one of them for $10. That's why most wheel/tire stores don't ask for your lug key, because they have a "keychain" with all of them already.

^Yeah, but it helps keep you safe from the opportunist thief.

<--never was a fan of locking lugnuts

keeps the honest folks away anyways, but anythign that causes a few extra minutes is worth it.. when I was going to night school for my MBA there were lots of jeeps on campus and several had their tires and doors lifted while we were in class. I had those cheap wheel locks and door locks and got to keep mine...

I'm surprised I never saw more of this while taking night classes in Newark at NJIT

I wonder if wheel theft is covered under insurance? I wish someone would steel the ones of my Tahoe so I could get some good ones!

You still have to pay the deductible though, and your rates will go up because they have "proof" you leave your car in dangerous places.

It was a 69 Charger, a dangerous vehicle for dangerous people.

But I ain't that way any more.

That's nothing. Back when I lived in CT, thieves would have "ins" with the people at the car lots. When the big ticket items would come in (hard to find body kits, wheels, bumper, etc), the employees would notify the thieves, and they would come in and strip the car exteriors right on the dealership lots.

As an employee at a car dealership, we would routinely take things off of trade-ins. So long as the car could still be sold (i.e. we didn't leave it on cinder blocks if we wanted the rims), management didn't care.

As an employee at a car dealership, we would routinely take things off of trade-ins. So long as the car could still be sold (i.e. we didn't leave it on cinder blocks if we wanted the rims), management didn't care.
really? Depending on the specifics aftermarket rims or other accessories might increase the value of the trade-in. I'm surprised that management didn't care if the value of the vehicle was decreased.

With the more obvious things, we at least asked first.

One time, we had a fairly prominent radio show host trade in his tricked out truck. The wheels didn't even last 6 hours before they were gone. Only problem was that part of the trade agreement was that he would be coming back to get some of the things off of the truck (rims included). No one admitted to taking them, so the DJ then started to bad mouth the dealership on the radio. A couple weeks later the emerged at a wheel/tire store as a trade in. The store then ratted out the thief who was subsequently fired, and the cost of the wheels removed from his last paycheck. Turned out to be the detail tech who worked in the bay next to me. I never had a clue.

Back