Someone pretending to be an engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's a move called Doppleganger with Drew Barrymore that keeps recurring on cable. I've seen parts of it and it looks pretty good but I've never seen it start to finish.
Sheesh. You people sound as though you've never played an RPG or read a fantasy novel.

I caught the following statement on linkedin and am finding it is pretty common. Is this someone pretending to be an engineer?

"I am and environmental engineer but do not have my PE. I've been working with stormwater design/maintenance/inspection for 15 years."

So the guy is saying that he is an engineer but then using initials to represent that he is not. Just seems a little confusing

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll chime in here....with a whole different perspective.

I think it's REAL simple, unless you have passed the EXAM, you may do engineering work, but you're not an engineer.

I do NOT have a college degree, so my take on it is much different than most. Many may not think I should even be allowed to sit for the exam, but those that know me, and worked with me over the years might debate it on my behalf. I worked for 20 years, putting in 14-16 hour days for a company that treated me like a disposable employee, even though many times my duties were on the same level as any PM they had, the entire time I was planning on doing what I did. As soon as I got to the 20 year mark I started studying nights and weekends to take the PE exam. I took review courses, I took online courses, I bought books, cd's dvd's...whatever it took to pass the test. By the time my FORTH attempt rolled around I probably didn't miss more than 2-3 questions. The test was actually pretty easy to me.

NOW, from someone that came from the side of the fence with NO degree, to getting the test behind me, I can tell you that I more than most would want to protect the integrity of the title "Engineer". I would also NEVER recommend to anyone take the route I took. I so wish I had done this 20 years ago, but you can't go back.

I'll chime in here....with a whole different perspective.
I think it's REAL simple, unless you have passed the EXAM, you may do engineering work, but you're not an engineer.

I do NOT have a college degree, so my take on it is much different than most. Many may not think I should even be allowed to sit for the exam, but those that know me, and worked with me over the years might debate it on my behalf. I worked for 20 years, putting in 14-16 hour days for a company that treated me like a disposable employee, even though many times my duties were on the same level as any PM they had, the entire time I was planning on doing what I did. As soon as I got to the 20 year mark I started studying nights and weekends to take the PE exam. I took review courses, I took online courses, I bought books, cd's dvd's...whatever it took to pass the test. By the time my FORTH attempt rolled around I probably didn't miss more than 2-3 questions. The test was actually pretty easy to me.

NOW, from someone that came from the side of the fence with NO degree, to getting the test behind me, I can tell you that I more than most would want to protect the integrity of the title "Engineer". I would also NEVER recommend to anyone take the route I took. I so wish I had done this 20 years ago, but you can't go back.
So much all of this. I've had a few arguments with a friend of mine over her referring to herself as an Engineer. And yeah, I'd agree with NCcarguy, the "no degree" path is far more difficult, painful and rough than college would have been. (Though Washington only requires 8 years experience, and California *6*)

Out of curiosity, since getting the PE have you had any trouble finding a job? I applied for a position that had specifically said that any combination of experience or education that provided the necessary knowledge was acceptable, and had my resume trashed without further review as soon as they saw the lack of a degree. Still annoys me.

We had one guy who was hired in at a site, and after he sent out a few emails, he had a rather suspect looking email signature, declaring himself either lead or chief of two different organizations. Nobody in either organization even knew who he was. Needless to say, his self-appointed title(s) was not well received.

We had one guy who was hired in at a site, and after he sent out a few emails, he had a rather suspect looking email signature, declaring himself either lead or chief of two different organizations. Nobody in either organization even knew who he was. Needless to say, his self-appointed title(s) was not well received.

I often wonder if I could get away with just calling myself something different here... mostly because my title "Panther Card Coordinator and Facilities Assistance" makes no sense and is redonkulously too long.

Edit- Mostly I just stick with my old title from 6 months ago- Project Manager

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is frustrating but it up to the board to decide if just using the title of engineer is enough to warrant a disciplinary hearing. If he isn't offering engineering services or attempting to practice engineering then they may let it slide. One of our PEs at my last job got a verbal warning from a state board because he had a legitimate PE by his name but was not licensed in that state.

Back