Solid Waste Reference

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt72

Reaction score
I am looking for a good reference book for the solid waste/ section of the exam. Does anyone have any recommendations?

LaGrega Hazardous and Solid Waste Management is the holy grail for those subjects. It is an expensive book, but worth the $$.

I also used Integrated Solid Waste Management - Tchobanoglous/Theisen/Vigil 1993 during the exam.

Both books are still for sale in the yard sale section.

Agree with the LaGrega recommendation though I also have the Tchobanoglus book as well. :)

JR

Agree with the LaGrega recommendation though I also have the Tchobanoglus book as well. :)
JR
I also have Tchobanoglus (Handbook of Solid Waste Management), but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, unless you do solid waste work and could use it after the exam. Lagrega is great, but I honestly think that between it and the ENVRM, they cover just enough of the actual solid waste stuff to pass the exam without a dedicated solid waste book.

In addition to LaGrega, I'd recommend the RCRA Orientation Manual as well.

The former was a last-minute purchase for me (I got it in the mail a few days before the exam), and I'm very glad I did so.

I'd say solid waste problems aren't so regulation-focused though, like the Haz Waste problems might be. For most of the solid waste problems you will not need any reference (except for maybe an example problem from the likes of Lindeburg, NCEES, or Schneiter).

The problems tend to be long but fairly simple math problems. Just be careful with your math and don't spend too much time on these problems, in case you get stuck. If you make a small mistake, you might not see your answer as one of the options, or you might select one of the answers that have the the "typical mistake" factored in.

Thanks for everyones input. Man I cant wait to take the exam. I am so sick of friggin studying. :blowup:

Thanks for everyones input. Man I cant wait to take the exam. I am so sick of friggin studying. :blowup:
Sounds like you're really prepared then! At this point, I think most folks are just starting their extra-panic mode... While I was often feeling SO ready to be done, when I was a month out I was probably was wishing for more time.

Back