So, who else has got the week off this week?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableguy

Has never sniffed a stink bug
Reaction score
Instead of sitting at work, drinking coffee and waiting for my PE results, I'm sitting at home, drinking coffee and waiting for my PE results.

Wife insisted I take the week off. For some reason, she doesn't want to be stuck with the 3 kids at home for 2 weeks by herself. Imagine that. Ha. I did bring some work home with me though, these designs don't work themselves out (though I wish they would sometimes...).

But today I'm going to work on the Sky Fort again. I started on it a few weeks ago, didn't do anything for a while, and yesterday worked on it some more. I've got the main body of it about 60% complete. It's going together well, it just takes time... a lot of it is held together with lag bolts that I have to pilot hole drill. That part stinks. The wood is pretty soft, I hope it holds up. The hardware seems to be decent quality though (compared to our old playset, which is being retired after 9 years of dutiful service).

At least the sun is out. I wouldn't be working on it if it was cloudy (it's 35 degrees this morning... I know for you guys up north, that's shorts weather... but for us Texans, it's dang near deadly cold :) ).

don't have this week off, but we did sleep in an extra 45 minutes since we got home MUCH later than we were planning yesterday.

Working today and tomorrow...off the rest of the week.

Not much excitement going on at the office though. Just going through the motions.

This is the best week for working. Only about half the office is in so I dont get bothered much and can get all my BS busy work that Ive been putting off done.

Definitely don't have this week off. And it's slow, so it sucks 10x as much.

I'm working this week, but it seems that 90% of our office is not. There is no one here today, it's pretty weird. It's not unusual for people to take this week between Christmas and New Years off, but it sure seems that there are more people out than normal today.

I know a lot of people at my office took off, because of the way holidays worked out this year, an "investment" of 4 vacation days yields 10 straight days off (including weekends). Start with the 24th, go back to work January 3rd. I'm still rolling over 6 1/2 days of vacation in to next year.

I had a few days to burn off- We can carry over 40 hours of vacation time to the next year, the rest is use it or lose it. Same deal as above though- we got Friday and Monday off for Christmas, then get Friday off for New Years, so I only took 3 days vacation to get the whole time off. 3 days put me just under 40 hours to carry over.

A big part of the work I wanted to get done this week was dependant on getting answers back from vendors who have all taken the week off.

I usually like to work Xmas week since its dead, but I'm out of town visiting relatives, so I'm a free man this week. Already went for a hike and did some x-country skiing yesterday. I'm loving the outdoor time here.

Our holiday visits are over, our guests have gone back home (and just in time, for NY was hit with a blizzard)...and I have the entire week off from work!! Yippee...

I usually like to work Xmas week since its dead, but I'm out of town visiting relatives, so I'm a free man this week. Already went for a hike and did some x-country skiing yesterday. I'm loving the outdoor time here.
If you were back in MA you'd need to move about 1.5 ft of snow to get to work today. We got our first real snowstorm in a long time yesterday. It's a good thing when it happens on a weekend though, people stayed off the roads and they had removal crews working through the storm so it's not so bad out now. The remnants of the storm are just waning away now. Not too many people in the office. On top of all the people on vacation, many others decided not to come in because of the storm.

I fully expect that the next storm we get you will here all the citys and towns crying about no budget left, because they had everyone and his brother working this storm on a Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, progress on the Sky Fort went well, until I ran out of the supplied screws. :brickwall: Gonna go in to town tomorrow and pick some up.

Also, bracket P33 seems to be 'missing'. It's not an important one though.

Things have gone well for the first dozen or so page of instructions, but the instructions are starting to fall apart at this point. Certain things should be done before or after they tell you to do things... Some of it I see ahead of time, some of it I don't...

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking the week off too, although i only needed 2 days of vacation time. I had 1 floating holiday left (use it or lose it) and we got an executive holiday (we had to take off one of the following: 23, 27, or the 30th, also use it or lose it). So between all the "holidays", i only need 16 hrs of vacation to get my 10 days off.

Kiddos are home today, but they'll be back at daycare for the rest of the week.

Back