Slugger926 - RIF after 3 years - Oil/gas bust

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
Well, I was RIF'd this morning by upper management who probably didn't realize besides doing management duties, I was working the most complex projects.  The executive that had me cut was also RIF'd.  My boss was very upset and had tears when he was letting me go.  We had slackers with bad attitudes that he would have rather let go.  I may have had a few things going against me like my salary, and the director knew I duck hunted regularly with a manager that asked to be transferred out from under him because he didn't like the director's management style.  That manager went to the Six Sigma group where the company spent a lot of $$$ in training on the team, and the whole Six Sigma team was let go as well.  The company also just spent a lot of money on sending me to multiple ASME courses trying to get me trained on ASME codes as fast as possible.

I have already met with a couple of recruiters and hopefully will get some interviews.  I also had a chance meeting waiting for my daughter at ballet with an HR Manager of Baker Hughes that thought he might have something that will be a fit for me locally.  If any of you hear of anything in the Tulsa area, let me know.  Also, my wife may be interested in moving to Colorado or Florida. 

A majority of those that got let go today did not make sense.  Smart management would have done things differently.

sorry to hear man, these gas prices are going to have a huge dent in our economy for the O&G Industry, and the industries that interact with it.

Seems like Anadarko, PDC, and Noble are still drilling wells in Colorado. There is even talk of  a new refinery in NE CO..

Wish you the best and hope that you will find something soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Slugger,

Domestic land work has slowed down to a crawl.  (We are still busy in deep water and internationally) Quite a few companies are shooting themselves in the foot right now, offering packages to senior staff and cutting the kids loose.  When prices rebound, all these people that were let go will not be coming back.  

Things can turn around quickly in this business...

Sorry to hear it Slugger I hope you find something better real soon.

I am open to another industry.  I have seen Oceaneering has openings in Orlando and Panama City Beach.  I have worked on several off shore Hot Tapping and Plugging projects where the ocean depths bring a whole new level of complexity.

My brother used to work for the oil rigs here in CO and they have been scaling back quite a bit lately.  Not sure how much work there really is here for that industry (at least not within "normal" driving distance from Denver).

Sorry to hear Slugger. I hope that you find some good leads soon.

Glad to see you back working for the man! There was a headhunter on LinkedIn I sent your way a few weeks ago, was looking for O&G in North Dakota..told her my blood wasn't thick enough for that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back