short circuit with 3 phase Y transformer to Delta Load

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td2010

Reaction score
Can anyone have any comment on what will be the load voltages and load power of the system (3 phase 480V, 10 MVA Y transformer connected to A balance delta load of 100 ohm each legs). i looked at the following links which is similar to the questions but after 75 posts, the disagreement is still on. (http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=92341).

I just worked a problem that was nearly identical to this (Testmasters example problem).

Power for a delta transformer, per phase, is V^2 / R - so

3 * 480^2 / 100 = 6912 watts for the load.

Seems kinda small for a 10MVA transformer. :)

Can anyone have any comment on what will be the load voltages and load power of the system (3 phase 480V, 10 MVA Y transformer connected to A balance delta load of 100 ohm each legs). i looked at the following links which is similar to the questions but after 75 posts, the disagreement is still on. (http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=92341).
I would approach this by converting Z (Y) = 1/3 Z (Delta).

Pph=Vph*Iph=208*(100/3)=6933 Watts

P(Total)=3*Pph=20.8KW

I would approach this by converting Z (Y) = 1/3 Z (Delta).Pph=Vph*Iph=208*(100/3)=6933 Watts

P(Total)=3*Pph=20.8KW
You've been working too many problems I see. ;)

Vph = 277 volts on a 480 volt line

Iph = 277/33.33 = 8.314 amps

Pph = Vph * Iph = 2302 watts per phase

P(total) = 6908 watts

I am not a Power expert, but the following is my two cents:

1. ALWAYS start with drawing up a "Single Phase Diagram"

2. Solve for the I line

3. Convert the I line to I phase (Depending on the load connection )

4. Calculate the requested values

So to solve this problem, when you draw a single diagram you end up with

V source=480/SQR(3)=277.13 Volts,

Z line=100 Ohms

Then I line=2.77 Amperes.

Now convert this line current to phase current by multiplying by SQR3 (delta connection), then I phase =4.8 Amperes

Pphase=Iph^2*Zph=4.8^2*100=2304 Watts

Three Phase Power=3*Pphase=3*2304=6912 Watts

I hope this helps!

2. Solve for the I line

Z line=100 Ohms

Now convert this line current to phase current by multiplying by SQR3 (delta connection), then I phase =4.8 Amperes

I hope this helps!
I think the way with the least math involved is 480/10 4.8 = Iph in delta load.

Iline in delta load is 4.8 * sqrt3 = 8.31

Ptotal = sqrt3 * Vline * Iline = sqrt3 * 480 * 8.31 = 6912.

2. Solve for the I line

Z line=100 Ohms

I hope this helps!
I think the way with the least math involved is 480/10 4.8 = Iph in delta load.

Iline in delta load is 4.8 * sqrt3 = 8.31

Ptotal = sqrt3 * Vline * Iline = sqrt3 * 480 * 8.31 = 6912.

May be, but the method above is helpful especially when the transmission line has an Impedance!

I just worked a problem that was nearly identical to this (Testmasters example problem).

Sorry for not clarifying the question in details. The problem questions is to find the load voltages and load power when 1 of the transmission lines between transformer and load is shorted ( neglect the internal impedance of the transformer and the transmission lines).

Sorry for not clarifying the question in details. The problem questions is to find the load voltages and load power when 1 of the transmission lines between transformer and load is shorted ( neglect the internal impedance of the transformer and the transmission lines). (Steady state assumed)

The Second questions is to find the load voltages and load power when 1 of the transmission lines between transformer and load is opened ( neglect the internal impedance of the transformer and the transmission lines). (Steady state assumed)

Back