SEII

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McEngr,

Actually there are two major seismic areas in the southeast, one around Memphis and the other around Charleston. Plus we do lots of schools, hospitals, and other essential facilities that do not qualify for the simpified procedure. If I have a project that does qualify as simplified, I still use ELF since it is more familiar to me.

McEngr,Actually there are two major seismic areas in the southeast, one around Memphis and the other around Charleston. Plus we do lots of schools, hospitals, and other essential facilities that do not qualify for the simpified procedure. If I have a project that does qualify as simplified, I still use ELF since it is more familiar to me.
Looking back at my previous posts, I sound a little condecending(sp?). Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for the tips!

Can we make this an official thread for SE II and III. I don't have much knowledge about these two ex :brick: ams. Any information would be highly appreciated. I heard one has to wait for three years after PE in order to take SE II and III. It is two days exam. I refer to Washington State.

As far as review materials, how does IBC 2006 and all that fit in this picture? IF you prepare too earlier, would that hurt you not following the latest codes? What version of ASCE 7 to be used then? Too much unknowns.

NCEES has indicated that the IBC2003/ASCE 7-02 standards will remain through Oct 2007 (April 2008 will cover IBC2006/ASCE 7-05).

http://www.ncees.org/exams/professional/pe...n_standards.pdf
rdbse,

Did you find that the SE II was more difficult than the SE I? I plan on buying the ncees sample exam, but I've yet to shell out the dough because of the Holidays.

McEngr

McEngr,

I am taking SEII in April, so I am starting the study/review process. What did you decide on the cosulting position?

It would be great to keep this thread going. Anyone else set to take it in April?

McEngr,
I am taking SEII in April, so I am starting the study/review process. What did you decide on the cosulting position?

It would be great to keep this thread going. Anyone else set to take it in April?
Is it too late to sign up for it for April? If so, then I'll take the SE II in October. I just found out that I passed the Civil here in Oregon. They don't even recognize the SE I, so I wanted to at least get the PE credentials out of the way.

NCEES has indicated that the IBC2003/ASCE 7-02 standards will remain  through Oct 2007 (April 2008 will cover IBC2006/ASCE 7-05).

http://www.ncees.org/exams/professional/pe...n_standards.pdf
rdbse,

Did you find that the SE II was more difficult than the SE I? I plan on buying the ncees sample exam, but I've yet to shell out the dough because of the Holidays.

McEngr
I have an older SEII sample exam. It's pretty basic stuff, just really involved. One question involves the design of a splice for a steel bridge beam. The sample exam only has like 6 problems in it.

I also have the 246 Solved Problems from "the other board", and a lot of those problems seem to be on par with the SEII sample exam. Although they all looked like they were solved in the mid to late 90's.

I'll get a PhD in particle physics before I even think about the SEII.

Mike,

Why would you not want the SE II? I've heard through the grapevine that it's easier than the SE I, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want it... especially on the West Coast where it means a whole lot.

I took the SEII exam in October 2005 and the SEI exam in April 2006. I have passed both exams. I would have to say that the SEI exam is harder. I say this for several reasons. I will also add that I obtained my PE by taking the Civil exam in October 1991 when the PE exam consisted on 8 essay problems. So I sat for the SEI & II exams after a 15 year period. :true:

Back to the SEI & II exams. The SEI covers so many topics it's hard to study all possible areas. Also, there are numerous questions that deal with obscure code provisions. To me the other big factor is that you have to know some bridge stuff to pass. Theoretically, you could pass without answering any bridge problems correctly, but you have to get about 85% of the remaining problems correct. If you do buildings only like me, you need to learn a little bridge design to have a better chance since about 20 to 25% of the test is bridge.

I think the SEII is easier because you must choose either building or bridge problems exclusively, so you can concentrate on buildings only. In addition, you only have four problems in the morning and four in the afternoon. You have more time to delve into each problem. If you do consulting design work, these problems will be similar to your approach to office design, however, you must be able to work with any materials..., concrete, masonry, wood, steel, precast.

I don't know how you could take the SEII before the SEI. FWIW, the guy next to me in October was taking the SEII. He was not happy. I do not know how well he prepared but he seemed pretty sharp. This year I am finishing up my Masters. I will then make the decision whether or not I take the SEII.

I was thinking of taking the SEII, but I think my wife might divorce me on the grounds of insanity!! :tone:

The SE2 won't do me any good at this point. Here in Texas I'm already a PE just passing the SE1. To be a California PE I'd have to sit for the Civil exam, in California.

Plus my structural experience is pretty low. I mean, I've spent the last 6 years designing structural connections but nothing that comes close to an entire structure. I couldn't even ethically design a tool shed. My experience is too narrow. I'm good at what I do, I just don't do a lot of different things.

I don't know how you could take the SEII before the SEI. FWIW, the guy next to me in October was taking the SEII. He was not happy. I do not know how well he prepared but he seemed pretty sharp. This year I am finishing up my Masters. I will then make the decision whether or not I take the SEII.
Scottie,

In Oregon and Washington, you do not have to sit for the SE I. It's not recognized. The Civil, SE II, and Washington SE III is the only thing that will get you the coveted West-Coast SE license. The SE license is enforced all across the West Coast cities. I, for one, couldn't design a hospital because the SE is required.

Just an FYI... B)

McEngr

I, for one, couldn't design a hospital because the SE is required.
Correction: I couldn't STAMP a hospital structural project without the SE license.

So why would one go back to tkae the SEI after taking and passing the SEII?
Um... sorry if I left you with that impression. That wouldn't make sense. On the west coast, it's Civil + Str II + Str III to get your SE, at least in Oregon and Washington, that's the case.

I plan on getting my SE in California through the joint reciprocity of the Washington/California SE III exam. I could probably design jobs with just the CE requiring the additional Seismic and Surveying exams, but I'd rather avoid that since I want the SE anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your MS, Scottie.

McEngr,

The Washington State route is the easiest way to get a CA SE license. "oldtimer"

Back