School of PE or testmasters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To those who attended classes, what would you say the advantage is over a more independent approach such as working through the MERM? Was there a collaborative element with your professors and class mates?
SOPE uses the MERM exclusively along with separate problems to drive home the concepts. The MERM alone is fine but lacking in problems and from what I've heard the accompanying problems 6 MS are difficult and not representative of the actual exam. I like the SOPE's structure but my biggest criticism of the course is that the classes start about 6 weeks before the exam so you really have to be studying BEFORE taking the class (which was my mistake).
For ME's, check out Dr. Tom's classroom. I'm currently taking the online only version of the course, but have sent questions into Dr. Tom so there is support. So far I feel like his review is good, and he reviews for the morning and for the afternoon as well (MD and TFS). He basically tells you what to study and what you can skip, and reviews problems in detail. It's a 20 week course, so not much time left before you have to start compressing the study plans.

To those who attended classes, what would you say the advantage is over a more independent approach such as working through the MERM? Was there a collaborative element with your professors and class mates?
Taking an online class (any of the ones mentioned) will help you focus better and study smart. It will also convey in solving the problems quickly (thru tables, charts, etc). Time is your #1 enemy for this exam.

I took the School of PE as more of a review as I self studied for about 4 months (MERM, Shigley, NCEES) prior. I thought it was pretty good and I am convinced it helped me pass (1st attempt). Study material was on par with the difficulty with the exam (AM session only). The PM is entirely self study. What the NCEES lists as the fundamentals within the PM depth, you need to know very well, both quantitatively and qualitatively.

For the cost, Dr. Tom's seem to have the best value as its 20 weeks and covers AM and PM, but looks like it already started.

If you self study, try resurrecting your college text books for problems (around same difficulty as exam), 6MS (slightly harder than exam), NCEES (easier than exam), MERM (really difficult). Repetition helps, as well as getting exposure to as much problems (and understanding them right or wrong) as possible.

Has anyone heard any reviews on Excel Test Prep? They offer classes in the Bay Area and Irvine, CA.

Dr Tom's live class has started. The online only is at your own pace. But really I wouldn't cram it in too much.

Back